ShipperHQ supports an extensive set of UPS services across domestic, international, small package, LTL freight, and alternate delivery options. In this section, we will cover the various types of UPS carriers, some configuration settings, and the process for setting the carrier up.
As a UPS Ready provider, ShipperHQ is pleased to be eligible for payment under the UPS Customer Technology Program (CTP). More information is available on our UPS Ready page.
If you’re looking to offer Ship to a UPS Access Point Location as an option for your customers, you can do this at no cost with a free ShipperHQ Plan supporting UPS Access Point. This free offering supports only basic display options. More information is available on our Promotions & Savings page.
On This Page
- ShipperHQ UPS Capabilities Video
- Available UPS Services
- Obtaining UPS Invoice/Credentials
- Steps To Add This Carrier
- Steps to Validate This Carrier
- Configuring Type of Rates (Customer Classification Code)
ShipperHQ UPS Capabilities Video
Available UPS Services
- Domestic and International Small Package Services
The UPS small package carrier discussed in this article covers the majority of domestic and international small package services provided by UPS both ground (including Ground with Freight Pricing) and air services. However, there are certain services which work differently and may require a separate carrier in ShipperHQ. These are outlined below.
- Ship to a UPS Access Point Location
Offering the option for customers to ship their order to a UPS Access Point location is supported using the UPS Access Point carrier.
- UPS LTL Freight
Offering LTL Freight as a shipping option for larger shipments are covered by the UPS Freight carrier.
- Ground with Freight Pricing
UPS GFP allows for non-palletized multi-packaged shipments within the 48 contiguous US states with a competitive rating structure for certain scenarios. This method is available when a shipment totals over 150 lbs but the individual packages which make up the shipment are all less than 150 lbs each. This is not a separate service but instead a type of rating used for UPS Ground for shipments meeting the requirements and for customers who have a UPS Ground with Freight Pricing contract with UPS. Follow the steps to set up a UPS Ground With Freight Pricing carrier and for shipments meeting the criteria for UPS Ground with Freight Pricing, the pricing shown for UPS Ground will reflect this rate. Hazardous materials are not accepted when shipping with GFP. Please see UPS’s documentation for more information.
- UPS SurePost
ShipperHQ supports UPS SurePost, though you will need to contact us to enable it for you. Once enabled you will see as a new carrier option in the Marketplace allowing you to install UPS SurePost. The instructions below also apply to UPS SurePost.
- UPS Mail Innovations
UPS does not currently offer the capability to retrieve Mail Innovations shipping rates in real-time. However, Mail Innovations shipping rates are straight-forward and can be set up manually using a Custom Table Rate carrier.
- UPS Configuration Canada
The configuration for Canada UPS involves adjustments to ensure the correct rating.
- UPS Account Origin
- Weight Unit
- Shipping Methods
- Currency Conversion (Magento only)
- UPS Account Origin When you have an Origin in Canada and wish to use UPS you must ensure the UPS carrier has the origin of the shipment set to Canada.
- Weight Unit
Choose your weight unit for Canada, what are your product weight units? This is also set in Account Settings->Global Features.
- Shipping Methods
Select the Canadian Shipping Methods. Because of a nuance in UPS currently, we map the following shipping methods in the dashboard to methods on the checkout:
- Next Day Air – > maps to Express
- Next Day Air Saver -> maps to Express Saver
- 2nd Day Air -> maps to Expedited
- Standard -> Standard
So for example if you select Next Day Air Saver as an allowed method on the carrier than in the checkout you will see Express Saver as a rate.Note: Only the following 4 rates are shown for Canada.
- Currency Conversion
On the Magento platform, you must ensure you allow the currency Canada and setup the conversion rate else you will not see any shipping rates. We return rates in CAD and rely on the platform to convert to store currency.
When setting up your UPS carrier in ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the UPS servers and obtain a rate quote. Follow these directions to obtain/set-up the necessary credentials.
Register for UPS Account
If you do not already have a UPS Shipping Account, sign up at UPS. If you already have an account with UPS and have access to your most recent invoice you will use that invoice for validation.
Obtaining UPS Invoice/Credentials
In order to connect ShipperHQ to your UPS account, you’ll need your most recent invoice. This can usually be downloaded at UPS.com. If not, you’ll need to find the physical copy of the most recent invoice received from UPS. If you have not received an invoice from UPS in the preceding 90 days, no invoice is required to register and you can skip this section.
- Go to UPS.com and click the “Log-in” link at the top of the page. Log in with your UPS.com username and password.
- Once logged in, select “Billing” in the “My UPS” drop-down in the navbar
- Click the “Access” button to access the UPS Billing Center
- In the “Billing Center Quick Links” section, click “View Invoice”
- You should see a list of recent invoices under the “Invoice Information” header. Click the Invoice Number for the most recent invoice (it doesn’t matter if you’ve already paid or not).
- Click the “View/Download Invoice Data” button at the bottom of the page and select “PDF” and click “Submit” to view the invoice PDF
- You’ll need information from this Invoice to connect ShipperHQ to your UPS account
Your invoice may vary somewhat from this example invoice but this helps identify where to find the required invoice information.
Steps To Add This Carrier
- Go to the Carriers page in the ShipperHQ dashboard
- Click + New to add a new carrier
- Select Live Rate Carrier
- Search for and select UPS
- Name this carrier (this name will be the name your customers see in the Checkout.)
- Success! Your UPS carrier has now been added to your list of carriers in ShipperHQ.
- You may now proceed to Validate your UPS Carrier (instructions are in the following section), or you can skip this step and choose to validate your carrier at another time. If you choose to skip validation you can begin to configure your carrier’s settings right away.
Steps to Validate This Carrier
In order for your live rate carrier to access your live rates, you will need to enter your carrier account credentials for UPS and have them validated.
Validation, simply means that ShipperHQ was able to access the shipping account related to the credentials that you entered and retrieve rates.
If you choose to skip validation after adding your new carrier you will be reminded to add your credentials later.
To Validate your UPS Carrier:
- Select Enter Credentials & Validate
- Review the information required to validate your UPS, which is:
- The credentials you received when you registered for a UPS account
- Your 6 digit shipping account number
- An invoice you have received from UPS within the last 90 days
- The “Shipped From” address on the invoice. The address entered must be the address of the primary location where UPS picks up packages. This address is NOT your account or billing address.
Note: Successful installation depends on the accurate entry of the account information required by UPS. If you do not have the correct information you will not be able to validate your carrier and receive live rates.
- Once you have these credentials, Continue
- You will need to read and agree to the UPS License Agreement in order to proceed
- Enter your UPS account credentials
- If validation is successful, you will be presented with:
- The option to enable your carrier right away. (Enabling your carrier at this time will turn its rates on immediately even before you have made any configuration adjustments to it.)
- Begin to configure. Continuing with this button will take you to the carrier’s configuration page. You can also enable the carrier from this page once you have saved your settings.
- Alternatively, if validation fails, see our troubleshooting section below for help. Also, remember, you can skip your validation for now and continue to configure your carrier. The credentials that you have already entered will be saved and you will be reminded later to validate your carrier.
Configuring Type of Rates (Customer Classification Code)
UPS has four types of rates, or customer classification codes. These codes are used in different scenarios and outlined below. It’s important to note that ShipperHQ does not provide UPS classification codes. If you offer a certain rate to your customers it’s important to ensure that you can actually ship at those rates. Talk to your UPS rep to determine which customer classification code you would need use for your requirements.
Rates Associated with Shipper Number
This is the most common option, which returns negotiated/incentivised shipping rates.
Applies to shippers that have an existing customer account prior to January 3, 2011 that provides for Daily Rates, or UPS Scheduled Pickup service implemented prior to January 3, 2011. The Daily Rates are the list rates used by UPS for years.
Applies to shippers that: Do not receive UPS Scheduled Pickup service; ship from a UPS retail location, such as The UPS Store® or UPS Customer Center; or ship infrequently with a UPS account number or payment card.
Standard List Rates
Applies to shippers that have a customised agreement with UPS that provides for Standard List Rates, or a UPS Scheduled Pickup account established on or after January 3, 2011.
If your invoice is not accepted on your first attempt, double-check all of your information and please look over the below tips. When you are sure that the below details are correct, please try again. If it fails a second time, please do not try again. Instead, contact the support team for assistance completing registration, as UPS will limit the number of attempts to three a day.
The most common causes of being unable to register are:
- Not using the most recent invoice UPS has generated. See the “Fetch a UPS Invoice” section above for how to download your most recent invoice.
- Entering the Account or Billing address instead of the “Shipped From” address on the invoice. The address entered must be the address of the primary location where UPS picks up packages.
- Entering the wrong invoice date or charges this period. These must match exactly what was shown on your UPS invoice.
- Making changes to the carrier’s default settings before registering. If you changed anything about the carrier before attempting register, you must delete this carrier and create a new one. When you have created the new carrier, please register it before making ANY changes.
- No default origin is set on your website. A default origin must be set in order to register your carrier. You can see where to check and correct this on our Website Configuration page.
- Are you 100% sure you’re using a sandbox account? If you haven’t told this to UPS then you most likely don’t have a sandbox account so just make sure sandbox is unchecked on the UPS carrier in ShipperHQ. When you do have this checked then you will see that the rates are inaccurate so please don’t use unless you are sure you have this type of UPS account and know the limitations of this setting.
Attempting to register unsuccessfully three times will disable your account for 24 hours. You will still be able to use your UPS account, but will not be able to attempt to register for another 24 hours.