ShipperHQ supports an extensive set of UPS services across domestic, international, small package, LTL freight, and alternate delivery options. In this section we will cover the various types of UPS carriers, some configuration settings, and the process for setting the carrier up.
As a UPS Ready provider, ShipperHQ is pleased to be eligible for payment under the UPS Customer Technology Program (CTP). More information is available on our UPS Ready page.
If you’re looking to offer Ship to a UPS Access Point Location as an option for your customers, you can do this at no cost with a free ShipperHQ Plan supporting UPS Access Point. This free offering supports only basic display options. More information is available on our Promotions & Savings page.
- ShipperHQ UPS Capabilities Video
- Available UPS Services
- Create a new UPS Carrier
- Fetch a UPS Invoice
- Example Invoice
- Register ShipperHQ with UPS
- Configuring Rate Classification
- UPS Configuration Canada
ShipperHQ UPS Capabilities Video
Available UPS Services
Domestic and International Small Package Services
The UPS small package carrier discussed in this article covers the majority of domestic and international small package services provided by UPS both ground (including Ground with Freight Pricing) and air services. However, there are certain services which work differently and may require a separate carrier in ShipperHQ. These are outlined below.
Ship to a UPS Access Point Location
Offering the option for customers to ship their order to a UPS Access Point location is supported using the UPS Access Point carrier.
UPS LTL Freight
Offering LTL Freight as a shipping option for larger shipments is covered by the UPS Freight carrier.
Ground with Freight Pricing
UPS GFP allows for non-palletized multi-packaged shipments within the 48 contiguous US states with a competitive rating structure for certain scenarios. This method is available when a shipment totals over 150 lbs but the individual packages which make up the shipment are all less than 150 lbs each. This is not a separate service but instead a type of rating used for UPS Ground for shipments meeting the requirements and for customers who have a UPS Ground with Freight Pricing contract with UPS. Follow the normal steps to set up a UPS carrier and for shipments meeting the criteria for UPS Ground with Freight Pricing, the pricing shown for UPS Ground will reflect this rate.
Hazardous materials are not accepted when shipping with GFP. Please see UPS’s documentation for more information.
ShipperHQ supports UPS SurePost, though you will need to contact us to enable it for you. Once enabled you will see as a new carrier option in the Marketplace allowing you to install UPS SurePost. The instructions below also apply to UPS SurePost.
UPS Mail Innovations
UPS does not currently offer the capability to retrieve Mail Innovations shipping rates in real-time. However, Mail Innovations shipping rates are straight-forward and can be set up manually using a Custom Table Rate carrier.
Create a new UPS Carrier
When setting up your UPS carrier in ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the UPS servers and obtain a rate quote. Follow these directions to obtain/set-up the necessary credentials.
The first step is to create a new UPS carrier in ShipperHQ. There are two ways to add a new carrier to your account. Each method is described below:
Adding UPS carrier from the Marketplace page
- Navigate to the Marketplace page from the ShipperHQ Dashboard (left sidebar)
- Search for the UPS Carrier under ‘Small Package Carriers’
- You can filter by carrier type or by installation status using the dropdown menus near the search bar
- Being to install and validate a selected carrier by clicking the “install” button directly on the listing or click anywhere else on the listing to view a detailed page with more information about the carrier including information required for validating the carrier.
- You can filter by carrier type or by installation status using the dropdown menus near the search bar
- Proceed to the “Fetch a UPS Invoice” and “Register ShipperHQ with UPS” instructions below and enter the required account information for validation. Note: Successful installation depends on the accurate entry of the account information required by each carrier. If you do not have the correct information you will not be able to validate your carrier or receive live rates.
- Once validation is successful, you will be presented with the option to enable your carrier right away or configure it further. Selecting configure will take you to the carrier’s details page.
Adding UPS from the Carriers page
- Navigate to the Carriers page from the ShipperHQ Dashboard (left sidebar)
- Select “Add New +”
- Select Small Package carrier type
- You will be presented with a list of carriers for which you have already installed and validated (if any). Otherwise, you can select “Install Carrier” and you will be redirected to the Marketplace to choose UPS to install and validate.
- If you would like to set up another instance of a carrier you have already installed, select it here. You will then be asked to choose a name for this new carrier, and you will also be given the option to use a different account if you do not want to use the credentials you saved previously.
Fetch a UPS Invoice
In order to connect ShipperHQ to your UPS account, you’ll need your most recent invoice. This can usually be downloaded at UPS.com. If not, you’ll need to find the physical copy of the most recent invoice received from UPS. If you have not received an invoice from UPS in the preceding 90 days, no invoice is required to register and you can skip this section.
- Go to UPS.com and click the “Log-in” link at the top of the page. Log in with your UPS.com username and password.
- Once logged in, select “Billing” in the “My UPS” drop-down in the navbar
- Click the “Access” button to access the UPS Billing Center
- In the “Billing Center Quick Links” section, click “View Invoice”
- You should see a list of recent invoices under the “Invoice Information” header. Click the Invoice Number for the most recent invoice (it doesn’t matter if you’ve already paid or not).
- Click the “View/Download Invoice Data” button at the bottom of the page and select “PDF” and click “Submit” to view the invoice PDF
- You’ll need information from this Invoice to connect ShipperHQ to your UPS account
Your invoice may vary somewhat from this example invoice but this helps identify where to find the required invoice information.
Register ShipperHQ with UPS
If you do not already have a UPS Shipping Account, click the Create UPS Account on the left to get that set up and then return to ShipperHQ to complete this process once you’ve set up an account with UPS. If you already have an account with UPS and have access to your most recent invoice you will use that invoice for validation.
- Read and scroll all the way to the bottom of the License Agreement and click the I Agree button. I you need to print the agreement out for review, a print button is provided
- On the Customer Info page, fill in your company details and click Next. Important: The address entered here must be the address where UPS picks up shipments. This may differ from your account or billing address shown on your Invoice
- Proceed to the next screens, entering your UPS Account Number, Invoice Number, Invoice Date, Charges this period, etc. that each screen asks for.
- Enter the Control ID if present on your invoice. Some invoices may not have a Control ID present. If it is present, it will generally be listed in the summary at the top right corner of the first page of your invoice.
- Complete the registration process until validation is confirmed.
If your invoice is not accepted on your first attempt, double-check all of your information and please look over the below tips. When you are sure that the below details are correct, please try again. If it fails a second time, please do not try again. Instead, contact the support team for assistance completing registration, as UPS will limit the number of attempts to three a day.
The most common causes of being unable to register are:
- Not using the most recent invoice UPS has generated. See the “Fetch a UPS Invoice” section above for how to download your most recent invoice.
- Entering the Account or Billing address instead of the “Shipped From” address on the invoice. The address entered must be the address of the primary location where UPS picks up packages.
- Entering the wrong invoice date or charges this period. These must match exactly what was shown on your UPS invoice.
- Making changes to the carrier’s default settings before registering. If you changed anything about the carrier before attempting register, you must delete this carrier and create a new one. When you have created the new carrier, please register it before making ANY changes.
- No default origin is set on your website. A default origin must be set in order to register your carrier. You can see where to check and correct this on our Website Configuration page.
- Are you 100% sure you’re using a sandbox account? If you haven’t told this to UPS then you most likely don’t have a sandbox account so just make sure sandbox is unchecked on the UPS carrier in ShipperHQ. When you do have this checked then you will see that the rates are inaccurate so please don’t use unless you are sure you have this type of UPS account and know the limitations of this setting.
Attempting to register unsuccessfully three times will disable your account for 24 hours. You will still be able to use your UPS account, but will not be able to attempt to register for another 24 hours.
Configuring Rate Classification
UPS has four customer classification codes. These codes are used in different scenarios and outlined below. It’s important to note that ShipperHQ does not provide UPS classification codes. If you offer a certain rate to your customers it’s important to ensure that you can actually ship at those rates. Talk to your UPS rep to determine which customer classification code you would need use for your requirements.
Rates Associated with Shipper Number
This is the most common option, which returns negotiated/incentivised shipping rates.
Applies to shippers that have an existing customer account prior to January 3, 2011 that provides for Daily Rates, or UPS Scheduled Pickup service implemented prior to January 3, 2011. The Daily Rates are the list rates used by UPS for years.
Applies to shippers that: Do not receive UPS Scheduled Pickup service; ship from a UPS retail location, such as The UPS Store® or UPS Customer Center; or ship infrequently with a UPS account number or payment card.
Standard List Rates
Applies to shippers that have a customised agreement with UPS that provides for Standard List Rates, or a UPS Scheduled Pickup account established on or after January 3, 2011.
UPS Configuration Canada
The configuration for Canada UPS involves adjustments to ensure correct rating.
- UPS Account Origin
- Weight Unit
- Shipping Methods
- Currency Conversion (Magento only)
1. UPS Account Origin
When you have a Origin in Canada and wish to use UPS you must ensure the UPS carrier has the origin of the shipment set to Canada.
Choose your weight unit for Canada, what are your product weight units? This is also set in Account Settings->Global Features.
3. Shipping Methods
Select the Canadian Shipping Methods. Because of a nuance in UPS currently we map the following shipping methods in the dashboard to methods on the checkout:
- Next Day Air – > maps to Express
- Next Day Air Saver -> maps to Express Saver
- 2nd Day Air -> maps to Expedited
- Standard -> Standard
So for example if you select Next Day Air Saver as an allowed method on the carrier than in the checkout you will see Express Saver as a rate.
Note: Only the following 4 rates are shown for Canada.
4. Currency Conversion
On the Magento platform you must ensure you allow the currency Canada and setup the conversion rate else you will not see any shipping rates. We return rates in CAD and rely on the platform to convert to store currency.