ShipperHQ supports the ability to validate the address entered by your customers in the checkout. This will result in fewer orders being sent to incorrect addresses and reduce charges from carriers for invalid addressing.
This article provides an overview of our Address Validation feature as well as how to enable it and begin configuration.
Important Parts to Address Validation
Dynamic Address Type Lookup
Verifies that the address type is either business or residential. This can affect the cost of shipping significantly.
Dynamic Address Validity
Verifies if the delivery address is valid or invalid with either UPS or Fedex.
Address Suggestion at Checkout
If an address is ambiguous, prompts the user to select the correct address from suggested candidates
Manual Residential Selector on the checkout, so customers can select whether their delivery address is residential or commercial.
ShipperHQ includes all elements as part of it’s address validation service, although there are some differences in support across eCommerce Platforms.
Supported eCommerce Platforms & Carriers
|Platform||Dynamic Address Type Lookup||Dynamic Address Validity||Address Suggestion at Checkout||Residential Selector|
|Magento 1||Yes – Result shown on order||Yes – Result shown on order||Displays address candidates||Yes|
|Magento 2||Yes – Result shown on order||No||Requires Free Address Autocomplete Extension to show suggestion||Yes|
|Zoey||Yes – Result shown on order||Yes – Result shown on order||Displays address candidates||Yes|
*These platforms do not allow us to store this information in the order details, but the address has been validated.
Address Validation Setup and Troubleshooting
Enabling in ShipperHQ
To enable Address Validation in your store, you need to perform the following actions:
- From your Features in ShipperHQ, enable the Address Validation advanced feature.
- Settings can be accessed by clicking on “Feature Settings” (Gear emblem) then selecting the carrier you wish to use and where you wish validation performed.
- Ensure you have entered valid credentials in the settings of the carrier you have selected to use (either UPS or FedEx).
- You can then enable Address Validation directly from the Features menu or within the Address Validation settings as displayed below.
Please note: For FedEx Carriers, address validation must be enabled on your FedEx account. To enable this please reach out to your FedEx Rep.You may need to contact your carrier to ask them to enable access to the Address Validation API on your credentials.
- [For Magento Users Only] Login to your Magento admin panel, navigate to the Catalog > ShipperHQ > Synchronize menu and perform a synchronization to add the configuration settings to your Magento system. You may also manually edit the customer’s address type on their account within Magento by going to Customers > All Customers > Edit customer > Addresses dropdown.
Once enabled, you will be able to see the results of this process in the Magento 1 order details.
In this example, the shipping address is an exact match with address validation service.
Other possible outcomes are:
- Corrected Exact Match – some elements of the entered address were corrected by ShipperHQ
- Near Match with Options – there a number of possible valid addresses
- Customer Override – the customer did not accept the validated address(es) as correct and chose to use the address as entered
- Exact Match – the address was valid as entered
- Unchecked – the address has not been validated
- Not Validated Percentage – this address was not validated due to percentage of address checks configured in ShipperHQ
Address Suggestion at Checkout [Magento/Zoey]
Address Validation in ShipperHQ includes the additional feature of showing address suggestions at checkout and in their account address book and allowing customers to choose an address candidate to correct their entered address. This is currently only supported on Magento 1 and only when using UPS for address validation.
- If an address is valid, the customer moves through checkout or saving their address without any notification (silent). Status is saved as “EXACT_MATCH”
- If an address is ambiguous, or has candidates, these are displayed
- The customer can accept a candidate and this will replace the entered address, status is saved as “EXACT_MATCH”
- The customer can override the candidates and save the address as entered, status is saved as “CUSTOMER_OVERRIDE”
- If the address is invalid and no candidates can be found
- The customer can edit the address and validation is performed again
- The customer can continue with the entered address, the status is saved as “INVALID”
- If an error occurs during validation, the status is saved as “ERROR” and this address will be validated the next time it is used
- Once the order is placed, the validity of the address is displayed with the detailed shipping information on the order view.
- The next time an address is used at checkout it will not be validated again
Alternatively for Magento 2, we provide an Auto-Complete feature that will provide a dropdown list of addresses from which the customer can choose their valid address.
Residential Selector [Magento/Zoey]
Address Type Selector is one of ShipperHQ’s advanced features. In order use Address Type Selector you will need to activate and configure the feature.
If you are not seeing the rates change based on residential/business address then you are likely to have one of the following issues:
- You are not set up for Validation with your carrier. This is an extra service, so even if you get shipping rates you need to ensure you have validation enabled at an API level, check with the carrier customer service if unsure
- The address you are entering cannot be validated – on Magento you will see this being returned in the response log
- The configuration is not enabled, check your ShipperHQ settings to ensure feature enabled and enabled in the Carrier Settings, also check that you have sync’ed in Magento 1/2
We work within the boundaries as set by UPS/FedEx. There are instances that they will mark an address as valid even when there are invalid parts to it. We cannot detect this. Please ensure you conduct your own testing as appropriate.
On our roadmap we have plans to support USPS and also international countries such as the UK.