In this article we will describe how to connect FedEx parcel services (including Home Delivery, Ground, Express, and Air Freight services) or FedEx SmartPost to your ShipperHQ account. When setting up your FedEx carrier in ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the FedEx servers and obtain a rate quote. This article covers gathering the info you need, setting up FedEx in your ShipperHQ account, and info on how to best manage your connection between ShipperHQ and FedEx.
On This Page
When connecting your Fedex Account to ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the FedEx servers and obtain a rate quote. Follow the steps below to obtain your:
- FedEx Account Number
- FedEx Web Services Meter Number
- FedEx Web Services Authentication Key
- FedEx Web Services Password
- If setting up SmartPost, FedEx SmartPost Hub ID
Register for a FedEx Online Account
If you already have a FedEx Online account connected to a FedEx Account, proceed straight to the Generating Credentials steps below. Otherwise, follow these steps to get those elements set up first.
- If you don’t have a FedEx Account and Account Number, you’ll need to contact FedEx, set up an account, and get your Account Number before proceeding.
- If you don’t have a FedEx Online account yet, go to FedEx.com and click the Sign Up button in the top right corner and set one up.
- If you haven’t yet connected your FedEx Online account to your FedEx Account, log in at FedEx.com and click your user name, choose “My Profile”, then choose “Account Management.” Here you can see if you already have your accounts linked or add an account if not.
You’ll also need a specific set of credentials to connect your FedEx Account to ShipperHQ which can be generated at the FedEx Web Services Developer Center following these steps.
- Go to the Register for Production Keys form and log in with your FedEx Online username and password (or continue if already logged in).
- Set “Do You Intend to Reseller Your Software?” to “No”, check the box for “FedEx Web Services for Shipping”, choose “Corporate Developer”, and continue
- Accept the User Agreement and continue
- Enter your FedEx Account Number and verify that the contact information is correct for your company or update if not then continue
- Leave the “update profile” box unchecked and continue
- On the next page you’ll find your Authentication Key and Meter Number. These will be required when setting FedEx up in ShipperHQ so save these in a secure location
- The last piece of information you need is the Password which will be sent to you by email with subject “Your developer Production Key Registration is complete” to the email address on your FedEx Online account. This will be a random alphanumeric string and is different to your FedEx Online login password.
Now that you have your FedEx Web Services Authentication Key, Meter Number, and Password as well as your Account Number you can continue to Connecting ShipperHQ to Your FedEx Account.
Steps To Add This Carrier
- Go to the carriers page in the ShipperHQ dashboard
- Click Add New to add a new carrier
- Select Small Package carrier type
- Select install carrier to begin installing Fedex carrier
- Search for the FedEx Carrier under ‘Small Package Carriers’
- You can filter by carrier type or by installation status using the dropdown menus near the search bar
- Begin to install and validate a selected carrier by clicking the “install” button directly on the listing or click anywhere else on the listing to view a detailed page with more information about the carrier including information required for validating the carrier.
- Review required information required to complete installation and click Continue
- Enter your FedEx Account Number, Password, Meter Number, Authentication Key, and, if using SmartPost, Hub ID (see the Generating Credentials section above if you do not yet have these credentials).
Note: Successful installation depends on the accurate entry of the account information required by each carrier. If you do not have the correct information you will not be able to validate your carrier and receive live rates.
- Once installation is complete, you will be presented with:
- The option to enable your carrier right away. (Enabling your carrier at this time will turn its rates on immediately even before you have made any configuration adjustments to it)
- Begin to configure. Continuing with this button will take you to the carrier’s configuration page.
FedEx Air Freight
FedEx Air Freight is a different service to FedEx LTL. It’s used to ship items over 150lbs or that exceed 70″ in height or 119″ in length or 80″ in width both internationally and domestic.
The methods are FedEx International Priority Freight, FedEx International Economy Freight or FedEx 1, 2 or 3 Day Freight and FedEx First Freight for domestic shipments.
To get started create a standard FedEx carrier following steps above.
Configure FedEx Carrier for Air Freight
In the package settings of the new FedEx carrier, ensure you set the Maximum Per Package Weight to be at least 151lbs, in reality you will probably want to set it much higher than this. FedEx Air Freight will allow this value to be up to and including 2200lbs.
If any of your freight boxes are over 60 inches in any measurement, you will need to set the oversize Oversize Length Threshold to something higher than the it’s default of 60″
You will also need to ensure you select the relevant freight methods listed above.
ShipperHQ connects to your FedEx account by generating FedEx credentials as described above which means that the shipping rates and options available through ShipperHQ should match the rates you get through FedEx ShipManager, FedEx.com, or any other tool you use to get rates or print labels for FedEx.
If you find that your rates through ShipperHQ are not matching what you expect to receive from FedEx, there are a number of troubleshooting steps that you can take to determine why this may be the case.
If you determine that the response from FedEx themselves, FedEx Web Services Support can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org