In this article, we will describe how to connect FedEx parcel services (including Home Delivery, Ground, Express, Hold at Location, SameDay City and Air Freight services) or FedEx SmartPost to your ShipperHQ account. When setting up your FedEx carrier in ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the FedEx servers and obtain a rate quote. This article covers gathering the info you need, setting up FedEx in your ShipperHQ account, and info on how to best manage your connection between ShipperHQ and FedEx.
On This Page
When connecting your FedEx Account to ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the FedEx servers and obtain a rate quote. Follow the steps below to obtain your:
- FedEx Account Number
- FedEx Web Services Meter Number
- FedEx Web Services Authentication Key
- FedEx Web Services Password
- If setting up SmartPost, FedEx SmartPost Hub ID
Register for a FedEx Online Account
If you already have a FedEx Online account connected to a FedEx Account, proceed straight to the Generating Credentials steps below. Otherwise, follow these steps to get those elements set up first.
- If you don’t have a FedEx Account and Account Number, you’ll need to contact FedEx, set up an account, and get your Account Number before proceeding.
- If you don’t have a FedEx Online account yet, go to FedEx.com and click the Sign Up button in the top right corner and set one up.
- If you haven’t yet connected your FedEx Online account to your FedEx Account, log in at FedEx.com and click your user name, choose “My Profile”, then choose “Account Management.” Here you can see if you already have your accounts linked or add an account if not.
You’ll also need a specific set of credentials to connect your FedEx Account to ShipperHQ which can be generated at the FedEx Web Services Developer Center following the steps below.
- Go to the Register for Production Keys form and log in with your FedEx Online username and password (or continue if already logged in)
- Set Do You Intend to Reseller Your Software? to “No”
- Check the box for “FedEx Web Services for Shipping“
- For Please indicate whether… choose “Corporate Developer“
- Click Continue
- Click Accept for the User Agreement
- Enter your FedEx Account Number and verify that the contact information is correct for your company or update if not then click Continue
- Do not check the box to update your profile, click Continue
- On the Confirmation page you’ll find your Authentication Key and Meter Number. These will be required when setting FedEx up in ShipperHQ, so save these in a secure location
- The last piece of information you need is the Password which will be sent to you by email with the subject “Your developer Production Key Registration is complete” to the email address on your FedEx Online account. This will be a random alphanumeric string and is different to your FedEx Online login password.
Now that you have your FedEx Web Services Authentication Key, Meter Number, and Password as well as your Account Number you can continue to Add This Carrier to ShipperHQ.
Steps To Add This Carrier
- Go to the Carriers page in the ShipperHQ dashboard
- Click + New to add a new carrier
- Select Live Rate Carrier
- Search for and select FedEx
- Name this carrier (this name will be the name your customers see in the Checkout.)
- Success! Your FedEx carrier has now been added to your list of carriers in ShipperHQ.
- You may now proceed to Validate your FedEx Carrier (instructions are in the following section), or you can skip this step and choose to validate your carrier at another time. If you choose to skip validation you can begin to configure your carrier’s settings right away.
Steps to Validate This Carrier
In order for your live rate carrier to access live rates, you will need to enter your necessary credentials for FedEx and have them validated.
Validation, simply means that ShipperHQ was able to access the shipping account related to the credentials that you entered and retrieve rates.
If you choose to skip validation after adding your new carrier you will be reminded to add your credentials later.
To Validate your FedEx Carrier:
- Select Enter Credentials & Validate
- Review the information required to validate and Continue.
- If using SmartPost, you’ll need your Hub ID
- For required credentials, see the Generating Credentials section above
- Enter in the required credentials you have collected and click Validate
Note: Successful installation depends on the accurate entry of the account information required FedEx. If you do not have the correct information you will not be able to validate your carrier and receive live rates.
- If validation is successful, you will be presented with:
- The option to enable your carrier right away. (Enabling your carrier at this time will turn its rates on immediately even before you have made any configuration adjustments to it.)
- Configure This Carrier. Continuing with this button will take you to the carrier’s configuration page. You can also enable the carrier from this page once you have saved your settings.
- If validation fails, the credentials you have already entered will still be saved so they will populate the form when you return. You can:
- Choose to try validation again and double-check that the information you entered is correct.
- Skip validation for now and complete it later. You will be reminded to complete validation later to get rates.
- Contact us if you are struggling to validate your carrier and you believe the credentials you are using are correct. We will be happy to help get you validated.
Moving from Test to Production Credentials
Once you’ve tested FedEx functionality using the Test Credentials generated above and are retrieving the services and rates you expect, you’ll need to generate Production credentials.
- Log in to the FedEx Developer Resource Center
- Choose “Move to Production” under “FedEx Web Services” on the left-hand nav bar
- Click “Get Production Key” and go through the registration process, at the end of this process you’ll receive your production credentials
- In ShipperHQ, input the credentials generated by FedEx. Be sure “Use Sandbox” is unchecked
FedEx Air Freight
FedEx Air Freight is a different service to FedEx LTL. It’s used to ship items over 150lbs or that exceed 70″ in height or 119″ in length or 80″ in width both internationally and domestic.
The methods are FedEx International Priority Freight, FedEx International Economy Freight or FedEx 1, 2 or 3 Day Freight and FedEx First Freight for domestic shipments.
To get started create a standard FedEx carrier following steps above.
Configure FedEx Carrier for Air Freight
In the package settings of the new FedEx carrier, ensure you set the Maximum Per Package Weight to be at least 151lbs, in reality, you will probably want to set it much higher than this. FedEx Air Freight will allow this value to be up to and including 2200lbs.
If any of your freight boxes are over 60 inches in any measurement, you will need to set the oversize Oversize Length Threshold to something higher than the default of 60″
You will also need to ensure you select the relevant freight methods listed above.
ShipperHQ connects to your FedEx account by generating FedEx credentials as described above which means that the shipping rates and options available through ShipperHQ should match the rates you get through FedEx ShipManager, FedEx.com, or any other tool you use to get rates or print labels for FedEx.
If you find that your rates through ShipperHQ are not matching what you expect to receive from FedEx, there are a number of troubleshooting steps that you can take to determine why this may be the case.
If you determine that the response from FedEx themselves, FedEx Web Services Support can be contacted at email@example.com