Live carriers have been created for shipping most products but some products have to have a specialised quote, denoted by the “Quote” shipping group. The customer should still be able to check out but with a message denoting that someone will call them.
If no methods apply to the products in the cart then the customer will not be able to check out.
- Create a flat rate carrier called “Will call” and set the shipping rate to be 0. This will be the message that will be displayed to the customer.
- Create a new shipping rule and select all methods except for “Will call”.
- Set the shipping group to include the “Quote” shipping group.
- Set the action to hide the methods. This rule will hide all of the shipping methods except for the new flat rate.
- Create a second shipping and select only the “Will call method”.
- Set the shipping groups to exclude the “Quote” shipping group.
- Set the action to hide the method. This rule will hide the flat rate method unless there is a product assigned to the “Quote” shipping group in the cart.
When products that are not assigned to a shipping group are in the cart the second rule will take effect and the “Will call” method will not be displayed. If a product from the “Quote” shipping group is then added to the cart the second rule will no longer take effect and the first rule will hide all other methods instead.