You want to give your customers the ability to order online and pick up the goods in store.
There are 2 types of Store Pickup supported in ShipperHQ:
- Using radius from the merchant e.g. Allow Pickup if customer is < 50 miles from shop
- Specific locations, determining the closest and presenting options in a format that can allow down to date/time slot selection
Which one you choose depends on your needs. We often see single origin merchants implementing the radius Pickup, whereas large multi-city/state stores tend to want the specific locations.
- Enable In-Store Pickup Feature
- Set Google Maps API Key in Account Settings – this is required to determine the most local store
Full In-Store Pickup is not supported on all platforms. On platforms where full functionality is not supported, you can still set up your In-Store Pickup options in the same was but customers will not be shown a map or store info on checkout, they’ll just be shown a list of pickup locations to choose from.
- Magento 1: Full functionality is supported
- Magento 2: Limited functionality is supported, but has the ability to set a radius for when in store pickup displays, and the list of pickup locations associated. Not able to display Maps and Store Information in checkout
Pickup using Radius
- Add a new Fixed Rate Carrier
- You will need to fill the Carrier information out. Make sure to attach the specific origin you want to make the local pickups with the Attached Origins dropdown
- Under the Display Restrictions panel, we need to set a Zone that only determines the area you want to deliver. This can be done by city, or zip code. I did this one by zip code, the same principal can be applied to cities(see photo below)
- If required you can also set a delivery radius under Display Restrictions
Because we made this a Carrier, instead of as a local Pickup option. You will need to send a follow up email to the customer making the purchase so that they can know where their item is. Once we get this added into BigCommerce, there will be a much easier way to do this.
Pickup using Locations
- Go to “Carriers” in the left nav
- Select “Add New +” on the Carriers page
- Set Carrier Type to: “Custom Carrier”
Set Carrier to: “In-store Pickup”
Name your custom carrier whatever you want
Click “Create Carrier”
- The new carrier page will load
- Fill out the carrier info
- Select the “In-Store Pickup” panel
- Now we need to set up the Pickup Locations, click the Pickup Location that you specified in the Pickup Locations previously
- Below that you can set the max distance in miles for the customer to pick up their item. If you check the box Always Show Pickup then it will come up every time. If you do not, then it will use the Google Maps API to see if he is within 50 miles. If they are then it will show that as a shipping option
- If you want the customer to have the ability to pick a day for pick up, switch the box under Show Pickup Dates to ‘Show Calendar’. You can then configure that to how you want the pickup dates to be set
Pickup Location Configuration
- Go to “Pickup Locations” from left nav
- Select “Add New +” on the bottom of Pickup Locations page
- Fill out Name, Checkout Description (this is what will be displayed to the customers at checkout), and plug the Assigned Pick Up Carriers as the Carrier you just created above.
- Under the Address panel, make sure to fill in the correct information to the actual Pickup Location. Within the Send Email, you can either choose to have an email sent for the order when the order is placed or when the invoice is placed or not at all.
- You will also need to set up emails from within Magento.
- Under the “In-Store Pickup” panel you need to enter your Store Hours in, that will display them to customers in the checkout. We have the Blackout Days preset as National Holidays, we also have Saturday and Sunday unavailable for Pickup Days. This can all be changed by yourself if you’d like to switch those options.
Magento 2 Store Pickup
In Store Pickup carriers have rich functionality on the checkout, allowing customers to select a pickup location and optionally display a map of nearest locations.
For customers using the Magento version 2 platform, we are in the process of releasing this full functionality for the checkout in Magento 2.
Our interim In Store Pickup solution was available in earlier versions of ShipperHQ for Magento 2. You’ll see in the following screenshot, it allows customers to choose a pickup location from the checkout. We automatically display all the available pickup locations as separate shipping methods.
The latest version of ShipperHQ for Magento 2 requires separate modules to display pickup and calendar functionality in the checkout. Please contact us for more information.