ShipperHQ uses Google APIs to provide address autocomplete and show In Store Pickup maps on checkout. For customers who are using the Store Pickup features and want to display the map on checkout, they’ll need to sign up for and enter a Google API Key for these features to function. Please note that the map is only available on Magento 1&2 and Zoey.
Steps to Configure Google Maps API
To create your API Key, enable necessary API services, set up billing and retrieve your API Key:
- Log into the Google Developer Console with your Google Account
- Click the drop down next to “Project” to create a new project
- Enter the Project Name “ShipperHQ” . If required, check the box next to the terms of service, and click “Create”.
- You’ll see a notification window showing that your project is being created and you can continue
- From the Library directory on the left panel, you should see a search bar to search all Google API’s
- Look under the APIs heading and click “View All”. This will take you to the API overview page.
- For In Store Pickup maps, you’ll need to click “Enable” button to turn on “Maps Static API”
- Repeat this again for the “Google Places API Web Service” if you are using Address Autocomplete extension
- You should now see all three of these APIs listed on the Dashboard under API heading
- Click “Credentials” on the left hand menu and select “Create Credentials->API Key”
- Select “API Key” button, as per the screenshot from #14 then, in the popup, dialog enter a name for this key. (You can optionally choose to limit which IP addresses can make requests using this key).
- DO NOT enable API key restrictions. Since ShipperHQ will be using your API key from our servers, you cannot implement URL or IP restrictions on them.
- Click “Close” button in the popup.
- Copy your API key and enter in ShipperHQ as explained below
- Set up billing for your new API key on the Google Dashboard. You will be unable to use the Google API keys unless billing is enabled.
Adding your Google API Key to ShipperHQ
To enter your newly created Google API Key in ShipperHQ:
- Log in to your ShipperHQ Dashboard
- Select “Account Settings” from left nav
- Select the “Global Settings” tab
- Enter your Google API Key in the “Google API Key” field (see screenshot)
- Click the “Update” button at the bottom of the page
If you find that you are experiencing inconsistencies with the location data, for example, if the nearest warehouse feature is not showing working or incorrect store pickup locations are being displayed here are some steps to troubleshoot.
API Key Restrictions
Due to the dynamic nature of ShipperHQ restrictions should not be defined when creating the API key (above).
Here is more information in this help article from Google on the restrictions you have enabled, that can cause an error:
You should remove any restrictions on your API key as any IP or HTTP restrictions will prevent ShipperHQ from using the key.
If you could take action to remove this IP restriction and ensure Geocoding request works with your API key. You can test this by replacing your API key in the URL below then putting this into your browser address bar. It should return address results and NOT state “REQUEST DENIED”
Usage and Billing
Any Google accounts without billing set up account are also restricted by a limited quantity of API requests and may see watermarks on your map display.
You can read more about the usage limits and follow a link to setup billing on Google’s API Usage and Billing page.
Please note that this billing is independent of ShipperHQ.