This guide goes through how to offer delivery to a certain area for a flat rate. For example, you may offer local delivery to an area around your fulfillment center/warehouse. This is easy to do in in ShipperHQ using a Flat Rate carrier and a Zone or a live-rate carrier like UPS, a Carrier Rule, and a Zone.
Scenario 1: Flat Rate Carrier
This will allow you to show a flat rate option in addition to your live-rate carriers. For example, you may want your customers to be able to choose between your Flat Rate option and UPS Ground.
Steps for Scenario 1
- Set up your Flat Rate carrier by Configuring a Custom Carrier.
- On your new Flat Rate carrier, set the Carrier Title (in the Basic panel) and Shipping Method Name (in the Rates panel) to what you want to show customers on checkout as the Carrier and Shipping Method, respectively.
- Also in the Rates panel, set the Base Shipping Price to the amount you want to charge.
- Still editing your new carrier, in the Optional panel, in the Restrict to Zones dropdown, either select a Zone you’ve already defined or select “Add New” to define the Zone (or Zones) in which you want to offer this carrier
- Save the Carrier
Your customers will now see this option on checkout at the price you set if their shipping address is within the Zone you defined.
Scenario 2: Flat Rate UPS Ground
This will allow you to override the live rate returned for UPS Ground to be a flat rate for customers within the Zone you’ve defined.
Steps for Scenario 2
- You’ll need to first set up your UPS carrier in ShipperHQ and enable UPS Ground (or the method you want to override).
- Now, Add a New Carrier Rule by clicking the Carrier Rules option in the left-hand navbar and clicking the Add button
- In the Basic panel of your Carrier Rule, enter a name for this (E.g. “Flat Rate for US 48”),
- In the Shipping Method panel, Add UPS Ground under the Live Shipping Methods Assigned section.
- In Conditions panel, choose your Zone under Restrict to Zones or add a new Zone
- In Actions panel, set the Action to Perform dropdown to “Set/Surcharge Rates” and ensure the Adapt Shipping Rates dropdown to “Set Rates”. In the Apply Shipping Rate/Percentage dropdown you can choose this charge to apply Per Cart, Per Shipping Group, or Per Each Item within Shipping Group
- In the Set/Modify Shipping Rate box, in the Shipping Rate field enter the Flat Cost you want to override UPS Ground with
- Save your Carrier Rule
Your customers will now see your Flat Rate price as the rate for UPS Ground on checkout at the price you set if their shipping address is within the Zone you defined.