This article describes how you can use a Custom Carrier with just carrier rules to get offline rating in the checkout. You can use only a table rate with custom carrier or a combination of table rates with carrier rules if you prefer.
This document assumes you already have a Custom Rate Carrier configured in ShipperHQ with methods defined.
The next piece is adding the Carrier Rules to set the shipping prices.
Set Shipping Prices via Carrier Rules
Creating a Zone
- Click on “Zones” in the left-hand nav menu > Add New +
- Enter a “Name” for the Zone.
- Choose a Country from the “Countries” list.
- You can now either select more countries to define a zone made up of countries or change the “For states/regions” selector to “Including” or “Excluding” and choose a list of states, provinces, or regions from the “States/regions” list.
- Click the “Save” button to save your Zone.
Creating a Rule
- Click on “Carrier Rules” in the left-hand nav menu > Add New +
- In the Basic panel, enter a “Name” for the Rule. This should be a descriptive name (e.g. “Eastern US Standard Shipping”).
- In the Shipping Methods panel, add the shipping method you set up under your Custom Carrier.
- In Conditions, set the Zone you configured above under Apply to Zones
- In the Actions panel, set the Action to Perform to “Set/Surcharge Rates”, the Adapt Shipping Rates dropdown to “Set rates”
- Under the Set/Modify Shipping Rate section, enter a flat rate value in the Shipping Rate field
- Click the “Save” button at the bottom of the page.
ShipperHQ will charge whatever rate you set in the rule on the shipping method you assigned.
We’ve walked through the process of setting up a Custom Rate carrier with an associated Carrier Rule and Zone. If you followed these instructions, you now have a basic, working Custom Rates carrier.
Please bear in mind that depending on the Rule Conditions, you may not see the rates in some cases. For example if you only set up a rule for US 48 then no carrier rates will show for a UK address. The same applies with other conditions such as price, weight, etc.