This article describes how you can use a Custom Rate Carrier with just shipping rules to get offline rating in the checkout. You can use just a table rate or a combination of table rates with shipping rules if you prefer.
This document assumes you already have a Custom Rate Carrier configured in ShipperHQ with methods defined. Any type of Custom Rate Carrier will work for this.
The next piece is adding the Shipping Rules to set the shipping prices.
Set Shipping Prices via Shipping Rules
Creating a Shipping Zone
- In the ShipperHQ Dashboard left-hand navigation go to Shipping Zones
- Select the +New button to create a new shipping zone
- Choose a Country from the dropdown.
- You can now either select more countries to define a zone made up of countries or change the “For states/regions” selector to “Including” or “Excluding” and choose a list of states, provinces, or regions from the “States/regions” list.
- Save your Zone.
Creating a Rule
- Go to Shipping Rules in the left-hand navigation and click the +New button
- From the Actions list, choose the Override Rates action.
- Specify the Override by changing the dropdown to Flat Rate. In the field below, enter $10 (or whatever your desired amount) to achieve your desired discount.
- Set Apply This Rate to Entire Cart
- On Shipping Methods, select any shipping methods that you would like to surcharge.
- From the Conditions list, select all conditions that you would like to apply, or if this rule does not require any conditions, select “I don’t have any conditions to apply”
- Save and test your shipping rule
- On the configuration page, you may want to give your rule a name that accurately represents what it does. This will help you as then you can search on the rule name. You can also add some notes about what it does.
- Use the “Test Your Rates” link in the dashboard to test your new shipping rule and be sure it works like you want it to.
ShipperHQ will charge whatever rate you set in the rule on the shipping method you assigned.
We’ve walked through the process of setting up a Custom Rate carrier with an associated Shipping Rule and Zone. If you followed these instructions, you now have a basic, working Custom Rates Carrier.
Please bear in mind that depending on the Rule Conditions, you may not see the rates in some cases. For example if you only set up a rule for US 48 then no carrier rates will show for a UK address. The same applies with other conditions such as price, weight, etc.
Verify that your carriers and rules are working and see how they will display in your checkout right from the ShipperHQ dashboard.