UPS will allow you to ship to PO Box addresses, but will charge you a fee and forward the package to a customer’s home address. This fee can be significant and should normally be avoided.
In ShipperHQ, you can restrict UPS so that it’s not shown for shipments to PO Boxes. Instead, you can have a carrier like USPS display.
Pre-requisites: This example assumes that you’ve already set up a UPS carrier in ShipperHQ.
- Click on “Carrier Rules” on the left-hand navbar > Add New
- In the Basic panel, enter a name like “Hide UPS for PO Boxes”
- In the Shipping Methods panel, select all your UPS Shipping Methods
- In the Conditions panel, select the pre-defined “US POBox” Zone in the Apply to Zones field
- In the Actions panel in the Rule Action section, select “Hide Shipping Methods” as the Action to Perform
With the above Carrier Rule in place, UPS will not be shown if the customer enters a PO Box in the US as their address.
Magento: Setup Error Message
On the Magento platforms, when a rule is set to “Hide Shipping Methods” you can also set an error message that displays when the rule is in effect:
- Check the “Show Error Message when this Rule Applies” box (see screenshot below for reference)
- Enter the error message you want to display.
If you don’t want to ship to PO Boxes at all, the configuration explained above will accomplish this for you.
If you want to offer USPS shipping but restrict it to only show for PO Boxes, you can achieve that via the Display Restrictions panel on the USPS Carrier directly.