In this section we will cover:
- How to setup your USPS Carrier in ShipperHQ
- The different rating types you may use for pricing
On This Page
When setting up your USPS carrier in ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the USPS servers and obtain a rate quote. The following steps will walk you through the directions to obtain/set-up the necessary credentials.
- Go to the USPS Web Tools API page and click “Register Now”.
- Fill out the “Registration for USPS Web Tools” form.
- You’ll receive the “Confirmation” and, within a few minutes, an email with your USPS Username and Password.
- In ShipperHQ, when you install the USPS Carrier, enter the credentials emailed to you by USPS.
Steps To Add This Carrier
- Go to the carriers page in the ShipperHQ dashboard
- Click Add New to add a new carrier
- Select Small Package carrier type
- Select install carrier to begin installing the USPS carrier
- Search for the USPS Carrier under ‘Small Package Carriers’
- You can filter by carrier type or by installation status using the dropdown menus near the search bar
- Begin to install and validate a selected carrier by clicking the “install” button directly on the listing or click anywhere else on the listing to view a detailed page with more information about the carrier including information required for validating the carrier.
- Review required information required to complete installation and click Continue
- Enter the USPS API information obtained from USPS. Click Continue when complete
Note: Successful installation depends on the accurate entry of the account information required by each carrier. If you do not have the correct information you will not be able to validate your carrier and receive live rates.
- Once installation is complete, you will be presented with:
- The option to enable your carrier right away. (Enabling your carrier at this time will turn its rates on immediately even before you have made any configuration adjustments to it)
- Begin to configure. Continuing with this button will take you to the carrier’s configuration page.
Account Settings Options
USPS Discounted Rate Types
USPS offers five standard rate cards/rate types. These rate cards are offered in different scenarios and outlined below. It’s important to note that ShipperHQ does not provide USPS rate cards. If you offer a certain rate card to your customers it’s important to ensure that you can actually ship at those rates. Talk to your postage provider (e.g. Endicia, Stamps.com, or Pitney Bowes) or USPS rep to determine which rate card you’re eligible to use.
- Retail Pricing
What you would pay if you buy postage from a Post Office. This is the most expensive rate the USPS offers.On your USPS carrier in ShipperHQ, you can select “Retail Rates” in the Rate Type field of the Account Settings panel to have these rates shown to your customers (of course, you can always surcharge or discount these rates at will using handling fees or carrier rules).
- Online Pricing
This rate type offers discounted rates, especially for USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes. Although ShipperHQ does not integrate with Stamps.com or Endicia rates, these Online Pricing Discounts are comparable to discounts on postage from a USPS e-reseller. Online Pricing does not reflect special discount negotiations, but you could use this rate type along with Carrier Rules to match your deeper negotiated discounts.On your USPS carrier in ShipperHQ, you can select “Online Rates” in the Rate Type field of the Account Settings panel to have these rates shown to your customers (of course, you can always surcharge or discount these rates at will using handling fees or carrier rules).Note: There is no support for Retail Ground with this rate type.
- Commercial Base Pricing (CBP)
In many cases similar to the Online rate but offers some discounts for services other than USPS Priority Mail. In ShipperHQ, you can use Online rating to return CBP pricing.
- Commercial Plus Pricing (CPP)
The highest discounts USPS offers. In order to receive CPP pricing, you’ll either need to sign a direct volume contract with the USPS or a contract with a USPS Reseller like Express One, Express Save, or USS Logistics. Most merchants will not use CPP pricing.On your USPS carrier in ShipperHQ, you can select “Commercial Plus Rates” in the Rate Type field of the Account Settings panel to have these rates shown to your customers (as above, you can always surcharge or discount these rates at will using handling fees or carrier rules).Note: There is no support for First-Class Mail Package with this pricing.
This value is sent to USPS when ShipperHQ retrieves shipping rates from USPS. Choosing “Regular” is the most flexible option. Choosing “Large” will tell USPS to return only shipping services which support Large packages and is not recommended.
Machinable is a USPS term for any packages, envelopes, etc. that can be processed automatically by USPS sorting machines. All standard boxes, envelopes, padded envelopes, and other packaging normally used for shipping via USPS is Machinable so we recommend leaving this box checked unless you know for sure that you ship packages which are not machinable. Unchecking this option will result in USPS not returning some services which are not eligible for shipping non-machinable packages and returning higher rates for services which are eligible for non-machinable packages. Consult the USPS directly if you are unsure.
The USPS allows shippers to ship some hazardous items by some shipping services. If this option is checked on your USPS carrier in ShipperHQ, ShipperHQ will indicate to the USPS that the shipment contains Hazardous Items and the USPS will only return services which are eligible for shipping Hazardous Items. It is your responsibility to ensure that any items tendered for shipment to the USPS comply with all USPS guidelines including Hazardous Item restrictions.
Show Cheapest Flat Rate
If you want ShipperHQ to only show the cheapest between Small, Medium, and Large Flat Rate methods, you need this setting enabled.
This will automatically hide the more expensive flat rate shipping methods like med/large when small is chosen. NOTE: This requires enabling the Dimensional Shipping Feature.
You can find this setting by editing the Carrier > go to the Basic panel > scroll to ‘Account Settings’ section.
Your carrier can be installed and configured, but not validate. Successful validation depends on the accurate entry of the account information required by each carrier. If you do not have the correct information you will not be able to validate your carrier and receive live rates.