Say you want to surcharge rates on a method when a certain quantity of a shipping group is passed. In this article, we’ll use the example of surcharging UPS Ground shipping if the order has over 10 items for the Shipping Group “Ship”.
Pre-requisites: Ensure you have your Carrier set with your needed shipping methods.
Part 1: Create Shipping Group and Filter
- Create a Shipping Group. In our case we’ll call it “Ship”.
- Click on Filters on the navbar and add a new filter.
- Give the Filter a Name (i.e. Qty of 10+)
- On your new filter, under Filter Applies To, select “Everything in Shipping Group” > Under “Shipping Group Filter Applies to”, select your group. (In our case, “Ship”)
- Select “Range” for the Quantity filter > enter a Min value for the filter (in our case, 10) > check the No Max checkbox
Part 2: Add Rule
- Click on Shipping Rules on the navbar and add a new rule.
- In the Basic tab, give a descriptive name to the rule (e.g. “UPS Ground surcharge over 10 items”)
- Under Shipping Methods section, choose the method you want to surcharge. In our case, UPS Ground.
- In the Conditions tab, under Weight/Price/Quantity Is, select the Filter you just set up in Part 1. We’ll select our “Qty of 10+ filter”.
- In the Actions tab under the “Action to Perform” section set I want to… to “Modify the Price of my selected Shipping Methods” and In Order to… to “Surcharge or Discount Rates” and “By a Flat Rate”
- Enter a value for the flat rate and set And Apply This Rate to “Per Cart”
- Also in the Conditions panel, under the Shipping Groups Includes One or More dropdown, select your Shipping Group from Part 1. Ours would be “Ship”.
- Save and test your rule.
ShipperHQ will now surcharge UPS Ground by $X if the order has over X items.
Combining the price Filter with other Filters or Shipping Groups or Shipping Zones you can define more specific scenarios in which to offer free shipping. You can also use this same approach to set Flat Rate shipping in certain scenarios.