Custom rate carriers allow you to define your own delivery rates or pickup options available during checkout.
On This Page
Types of Custom Rate Carriers
|Table Rates||A highly flexible rate matrix based on any combination of destination, product, price, quantity, weight and customer group rules.||Table Rates|
|Flat Rate||A single fixed rate that can be set for specific packages or a distance radius, etc.||Flat Rate Carrier|
|Free Shipping||A quick and easy way to show a “Free Shipping” option||Free Shipping Carrier|
|In-Store Pickup||A checkout option for in-store pickup. Set a distance radius, add pickup locations and control the method name that displays in checkout||In-Store Pickup Carrier|
|Same Day||A fixed rate specifically for same-day deliveries that allows you to set lead and cutoff times as well as blackout dates||Same Day Carrier|
|Customer Account||A shipping option that allows your customers to ship using their own freight or courier account<br/>(Currently only supported on Magento 1, Magento 2 and Zoey)||Customer Account|
Setting up a Custom Carrier
To add a new custom carrier:
- Go to the Carriers page from the ShipperHQ Dashboard left-hand navigation
- Select “+New” button
- Select Custom Rate Carrier from the carrier types
- Select the type of custom carrier you would like
- Enter a name for this carrier. This name is the name that will be shown in the checkout to the customer. You can change this name at any time.
- Custom Carrier will be added successfully and you can continue to configure the carrier.
With each custom rate carrier type being so unique, you will want to use the links above to find instructions on how to configure each one.
You may want to set up Carrier Rules to show your custom rate carrier in one scenario and show another carrier in a different scenario. Or, you may want to explore other options like Dimensional Shipping so you can ensure you are charging the most accurate rates.
- You offer Promotional Rating e.g. offer flat rate shipping whenever small items are in the cart alone
- You have no direct control over fulfillment operations and have been given a custom rate table
- When there is not an API for your chosen carrier (often regional/local couriers)
- Where you need multiple shipping methods to be displayed with pricing according to weight/zone/price/etc
When to Show Free Shipping
ShipperHQ gives you the option to set up Free Shipping and In-Store Pickup as separate carriers or you can create a Flat Rate or Table Rate carrier which includes these as shipping methods.
You would want to show Free Shipping as a separate carrier if:
- If you don’t want to specify what method you will be shipping the order by
- If you offer free shipping but want to have the ability to offer other methods as well
- If you are running a promotion