You can update product attributes individually, or in bulk.
Update Individual Products
- In your Shopify backend, go to the Product Catalogue and view one of your products
- The assignment fields are found in the “More Actions” dropdown of your product details. Click on “Edit Shipping Properties”
- Copy/Paste the exact name of your Shipping Group, Origin, or Dimensional Rule and enter that into the relevant field. For example: If you have a Shipping Group called SURCHARGE, you will enter that into the Shipping Groups field
- If you are using Dimensional Shipping, set the length, width, and height of products.
Note: All names are case sensitive.
When you Edit Shipping Properties, it will open the Bulk editor menu where you can insert Product Dimensions, Shipping Groups, Origins, etc.
Update Products via Bulk Import/Export
If you want to update product attributes in bulk, you will require a 3rd party app that is designed to handle the bulk import/export of the data. ShipperHQ is not an export/import app. This is generally a feature supported by the eCommerce platform; in this case another app must be used to update in bulk.
Note: ShipperHQ is using Shopify best practice by using Metadata fields.
There are 3 types of attributes that are defined in ShipperHQ that can be assigned at a product level in Shopify, excluding product dimensions:
For example, you may wish to assign products to a shipping group BIKE so you can set up a shipping rule on it. Then in Shopify you will assign all products that are bikes to the group BIKE so when they are in the cart the rules will apply to them.
- Download Metafields2 app from the Shopify App store. If you need help with the download or configuring of the Metafields2 App, you’ll need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
- After download, you’ll want to go to your Shopify dashboard and click –>Products–>More Actions–>Metafields2 App.
- If you’ve already added some ShipperHQ Attributes to your products, you can go to Metafields App–>Utilities–>Export Metafields–>New Export Job for ‘Products’ and click “Start Export Job”.
- Once this has been done, you’ll have a CSV table of your attributes for products. You can then enter the Shipping Groups, Origins or Dimensional Rule Groups quickly and easily.
- If you do not have any attributes on the products yet, you will first need to create the metafields in Metafields2 by clicking on ‘Products’ or ‘Variants’ (depending on which type of product you wish to edit).
- Once the metafields have been created, export all of your products by going to Metafields App–>Utilities–>Export Metafields–>New Export Job for ‘Products’. Then click, “Start Export Job”.
- Download the resulting export .csv created and edit in a spreadsheet editor using the ‘UTF-(8)‘ formatting. Using any format other than ‘UTF-(8)’ will result in a failed import.
- Once the necessary edits have been made to the .csv, export the file using the same ‘UTF-(8)’ format.
- Go back to Metafields App–>Utilities, create a new import, and choose the .csv file that was just created.
Types of Metafields
|global||SHIPPING_GROUPS||string||Shipping Group Name|
|global||DIMENSIONAL_GROUPS||string||Dimensional Rules Name|
Once you’ve followed the steps above; you will be able to bulk import/export the ShipperHQ metadata fields on your products.