When setting rules against certain products, you will often need to assign things to the products in Shopify. These attributes are either Shipping Groups, Origins, Packing Rules, or product dimensions (L, W, H).
You can update product attributes individually, or in bulk. This doc expresses how to do both below.
On This Page
Update Individual Products
- In your Shopify backend, go to the Product Catalogue and view one of your products
- These fields are under “More Actions” dropdown on your product details. Click on “Edit Shipping Properties”
- Copy/Paste the exact name of your Shipping Group, Origin, or Packing Rule and enter that into the relevant field (note Packing Rules are named “Dimensional Groups” in Shopify). For example: If you have a Shipping Group called SURCHARGE, you will enter that into the Shipping Groups field
- If you are using Dimensional Shipping, set the length, width, and height of products.
Note: All names are case sensitive.
If you need to assign more than one Origin or Shipping Group to a product, separate the names with a hash (#) symbol.
When you Edit Shipping Properties, it will open the Bulk editor menu where you can insert Product Dimensions, Shipping Groups, Origins, etc.
Update Variant Products
If you want to edit the metafields for variant products, you will need to ensure your ShipperHQ configuration is set to not use the parent attributes (metafields). If you don’t change this setting, when you click on “Edit Shipping Properties” it will only give the option to edit the parent products metafields. If you change this setting, you will need to set metafields on all of your variant products that currently have metafields set on their parent product.
Update Products via Bulk Import/Export
You can update product attributes in bulk using a 3rd party app. ShipperHQ is not an export/import app. While most eCommerce platforms support bulk updates natively, Shopify does not.
Note: ShipperHQ is using Shopify best practice by using Metadata fields.
ShipperHQ supports 3 types of attributes at a product level in Shopify, as well as product dimensions:
For example, you may wish to assign products to a shipping group BIKE so you can set up a shipping rule on it. Then in Shopify you will assign all products that are bikes to the group BIKE so when they are in the cart the rules will apply to them.
- Download Metafields2 app from the Shopify App store. If you need help with the download or configuring of the Metafields2 App, you’ll need to contact email@example.com for help.
- After download, you’ll want to go to your Shopify dashboard and click –>Products–>More Actions–>Metafields2 App.
- If you’ve already added some ShipperHQ Attributes to your products, you can go to Metafields App–>Utilities–>Export Metafields–>New Export Job for ‘Products’ and click “Start Export Job”.
- Once this has been done, you’ll have a CSV table of your attributes for products. You can then enter the Shipping Groups, Origins or Dimensional Rule Groups quickly and easily.
- If you do not have any attributes on the products yet, you will first need to create the metafields in Metafields2 by clicking on ‘Products’ or ‘Variants’ (depending on which type of product you wish to edit).
- Once the metafields have been created, export all of your products by going to Metafields App–>Utilities–>Export Metafields–>New Export Job for ‘Products’. Then click, “Start Export Job”.
- Download the resulting export .csv created and edit in a spreadsheet editor using the ‘UTF-(8)‘ formatting. Using any format other than ‘UTF-(8)‘ will result in a failed import.
- Once the necessary edits have been made to the .csv, export the file using the same ‘UTF-(8)’ format.
- Go back to Metafields App–>Utilities, create a new import, and choose the .csv file that was just created.
Types of Metafields
Please note: the Metafield attribute keys below are CASE SENSITIVE and must be uppercase. Saving a value for an equivalent lowercase attribute will prevent the value for the uppercase attribute from being edited, and the value from the lowercase attribute will not be used.
|global||SHIPPING_GROUPS||string||Shipping Group Name|
|global||DIMENSIONAL_GROUPS||string||Dimensional Rules Name|
Once you’ve followed the steps above; you will be able to bulk import/export the ShipperHQ metadata fields on your products.
After you’ve assigned products to their needed dimensions, Shipping Group, Packing Rule, or Origin, you can start to test them! Add the product to your cart and add a zipcode to test the rates and see your results. If tests aren’t coming out as expected, check our common Troubleshooting steps for guidance!