Say you sell a certain group of items and want to surcharge shipping by a certain amount when any of these items are in the cart.
This example assumes that you’re using UPS Ground for shipping and have your UPS carrier set up already. For this example, we’ll call the group BULKY, and surcharge by $5.
Concepts Used in this Example
- Create a new Shipping Group (for this example, we call ours BULKY)
- In your eCommerce Platform, assign this Shipping Group to the appropriate products
- In ShipperHQ, create a new Carrier Rule
- Basic panel, enter a meaningful name like “Surcharge Bulky $5”
- Shipping Methods panel, select “UPS Ground” in the Live Shipping Methods Assigned field
- Conditions panel, select the “BULKY” Shipping Group in the Must Include these Shipping Group(s) field
- In the Actions panel under the Rule Action section, leave Action to Perform set to “Set/Surcharge Shipping Methods” > Adapt Shipping Rates to “Surcharge Rates” > set Apply Shipping Rate/Percentage to “Per Shipping Group”
- In the Actions panel under the Set/Modify Shipping Rate section, enter “5” in the Shipping Rate field
- Finally, save your Carrier Rule
With the above configuration, a $5 surcharge will be added to any order which includes at least one item from the BULKY Shipping Group.
In this example, we’ve added a single surcharge regardless of how many BULKY items are in the cart. There are many other options for how this is handled. For example, you may want to charge per item, or only add this surcharge if the order total is under a certain subtotal or over a certain weight. More information about these options are available in the Carrier Rules section.