In this article we will describe how to setup:
- FedEx Small Package
- FedEx SmartPost
- FedEx Air Freight
FedEx LTL Freight is covered separately.
When setting up your FedEx carrier in ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the FedEx servers and obtain a rate quote. Following these directions to obtain the necessary credentials.
Create a FedEx/FedEx Smartpost Carrier
It is important to remember that these are treated as different carriers in ShipperHQ, so if you want to use FedEx and FedEx Smartpost you will need to create both separately.
- Click on Carriers in the left-hand navbar
- Click the Add New button to add a new carrier
- Enter the name you want to use for this carrier in the Carrier Name field (e.g. “FedEx” or “FedEx Smartpost”)
- Select “Small Package” from the Carrier Type select
- Select “FedEx” from the Carrier select if you want to use FedEx or “FedEx Smartpost” if you are looking to use FedEx Smartpost
- Click Create Carrier
Obtaining Test Credentials
FedEx test credentials allow you access to FedEx Web Services in a test environment where
- If you have a FedEx account you should already have your Account ID and Meter Number. If not, you’ll need to contact FedEx and set up an account before proceeding.
- Once you have your account set up, go to the FedEx Developer Resource Center and log in with your FedEx.com username and password.
- You will now need to contact your FedEx rep if you want to use FedEx Smartpost.
- In the FedEx Developer Center, click on “Develop and Test” under “FedEx Web Services” in the left-hand nav bar.
- Click “Get your test key” and go through the registration process, at the end of this process you’ll receive your test credentials through email.
- In ShipperHQ, input the credentials generated by FedEx. Be sure to check “Use Sandbox” while using these test credentials.
Moving to Production Credentials
Once you’ve tested FedEx functionality using the Test Credentials generated above and are retrieving the services and rates you expect, you’ll need to generate Production credentials.
- Log in to the FedEx Developer Resource Center.
- Choose “Move to Production” under “FedEx Web Services” on the left-hand nav bar.
- Click “Get Production Key” and go through the registration process, at the end of this process you’ll receive your production credentials.
- In ShipperHQ, input the credentials generated by FedEx. Be sure “Use Sandbox” is unchecked.
Adding Credentials to your FedEx Carrier
- Go to the Carriers page and create a FedEx Carrier if you have not done so already. If you have already created the carrier you will need to edit it.
- Go to the Account Settings section
- Enter the FedEx Account Number, Password, Meter Number and Key (all should be provided by FedEx)
- If you are creating a FedEx Smartest carrier you will also need to enter the Smart Post Hub ID
- Validate Credentials against Carrier should be checked
- If you would like to use Negotiated rates, you should check this box as well
- If you’re setting up a FedEx SmartPost Carrier you’ll also see a Hub ID field. Speak to your FedEx account rep if you don’t know your Hub ID.
Additional steps for configuring the carrier can be found on the Carrier Configuration page.
FedEx Air Freight
FedEx Air Freight is a different service to FedEx LTL. It’s used to ship items over 150lbs or that exceed 70″ in height or 119″ in length or 80″ in width both internationally and domestic.
The methods are FedEx International Priority Freight, FedEx International Economy Freight or FedEx 1, 2 or 3 Day Freight and FedEx First Freight for domestic shipments.
To get started create a standard FedEx carrier following steps above.
Configure FedEx Carrier for Air Freight
In the package settings of the new FedEx carrier, ensure you set the Maximum Per Package Weight to be at least 151lbs, in reality you will probably want to set it much higher than this. FedEx Air Freight will allow this value to be up to and including 2200lbs.
If any of your freight boxes are over 60 inches in any measurement, you will need to set the oversize Oversize Length Threshold to something higher than the it’s default of 60″
You will also need to ensure you select the relevant freight methods listed above.
Webtools team contact