Quite a common scenario we see is adding a surcharge when shipping certain products to other countries like Mexico, Canada, etc. With ShipperHQ you can set up surcharges for certain products to specific shipping zones.
On This Page
To do this you need to do the following:
- Go to “Shipping Rules” in the left-hand navigation
- Click “Add New” to create a new shipping rule
- Select “Surcharge Rates” for the action you would like the rule to perform
- You can then choose to apply the surcharge as a flat rate or a percentage or both
- Enter the flat rate or percentage you would like to surcharge. When entering a percentage you will need to specify if you want that to apply to the shipping price or the cart total.
- Choose how you would like to apply the surcharge. Most cases will “Apply this rate to The Cart“
- Choose the shipping methods you want this surcharge to apply to from a list of all available shipping methods
- Select the conditions you want to apply for this surcharge to be applied to your selected methods. In this case, we will select both “Shipping Zones” and “Shipping Groups“
- Select the Shipping Zone(s) you wish for this surcharge to apply to from the list in the dropdown. If you do not see the zone you are looking for and would like to add a new one, simply click the link below the dropdown to “Create a new Shipping Zone”. Once your new zone is created it will be applied to your rule and you can proceed to specifying the Shipping Groups.
- On the “Shipping Groups” step you will choose whether you want this rule to apply when ALL of the shipping groups you select are in the cart or when ANY of the shipping groups you select are in the cart.
- Then select the Shipping Group(s) from the dropdown you would like this rule to apply to or create a new shipping group with the link below.
- After your last condition and you proceed you will see a summary of your shipping rule
- Click “Finish” to add your rule. This will apply the rule immediately.
- Once your rule is created we recommend that you go to “Test your Rates” and test to be sure your rule is working as intended.
With the above set up ShipperHQ will set the surcharge you’ve defined to the rate for the Shipping Method you’ve selected when the applicable shipping group(s) are in the cart for the selected zone.
Side note: Please keep in mind that you have the option of setting the surcharge rate by each item in the shipping group, the entire cart, origin or per each box the “LightProducts” items have packed into from the drop-down of”Apply Shipping Rate/Percentage” dropdown.
Test Your Rates
Verify that your carriers and rules are working and see how they will display in your checkout right from the ShipperHQ dashboard.