Say you want to surcharge your shipping rates for orders above or below a certain amount. For example, with USPS they do not add the insurance cost onto the rates, so you will need to create shipping rules to surcharge the shipping price based on the cart price. Alternately, you may wish to charge a surcharge for especially small orders to ensure you’re covering your costs.
In this example, we’ll apply a surcharge to a USPS carrier for orders up to $100.
Ensure your carrier is set up and validated in ShipperHQ.
To set this up you need both a shipping filter and a shipping rule. The shipping filter will describe the price point at which to apply the rule
Creating Your Shipping Filter
- Click on “Filters” on your left-hand navbar in ShipperHQ and click the Add New + button
- In the Basic panel, enter the Name for your Filter. We’ll use “<$100” in this example
- Select Filter Applies to Origin
- Set a Price Range of 0-100
- Save your Filter
Creating your Shipping Rule
- Click on “Shipping Rules” in the navbar and click the +New button
- In the Basic tab, give your rule a descriptive name. We’ll use “Surcharge USPS >$100 in Cart” in this example
- Under the Shipping Methods section, press Add Methods in the Live Shipping Methods Assigned field, and select the live carrier methods you want. In our example, all USPS methods.
- In the Actions tab under the “Action to Perform” section set I want to… to “Modify the Price of my selected Shipping Methods” and In Order to… to “Surcharge or Discount Rates” and “By a Flat Rate”
- Enter “5” (or whatever fixed rate you choose) for the flat rate and set And Apply This Rate to “Per Cart”
- In the Conditions tab, select your new Filter in the Price/Weight/Quantity Is dropdown
- Save and test your shipping rule
With this rule in place USPS rates will be surcharged by $5 when the cart price is < $100. You can add other filter/rule combinations if you want to charge different surcharges for different price ranges.