This explains how to set up a rule to restrict certain items to Ground only shipping. For example, a hazardous product.
On This Page
This kind of rule can be set up 2 different ways: Carrier Rules against a Shipping Group, or restrict a Shipping Group directly.
OPTION A: Restrict shipping group only
- In the ShipperHQ dashboard, click on “Shipping Groups”
- Add a new one.
- Give the group a name. For example: GROUND_ONLY, or HAZARDOUS.
- Go to the Optional panel.
- Under “Restrict to Specific Shipping Methods” section, you will select your ground method.
- If you only want the group to rate for a certain destination, select the restricted Zone under “Restrict Destinations”. Otherwise, skip this part.
- Save the group
Then you will assign this Shipping Group to the relevant products. Whenever those items are in the cart, the entire cart will be restricted to show Ground only.
OPTION B: Set carrier rule to restrict a shipping group
Create a Shipping Group
- You will follow steps 1-3 above and create your hazardous shipping group, but skip the “Restrict to Shipping Methods” section. Just save the group after naming.
Or, you can click on “Shipping Groups” on the left nav and add a new one.
Create the New Carrier Rule
- Click on “Carrier Rules” on the left nav, and then click “Add New +”.
- In the Basic panel, enter a name for this rule. Something like “Hide Air methods from Hazardous items”.
- In the Shipping Methods panel, choose the shipping method that you want the rule to HIDE in the cart when Hazardous goods are present. In this case, you will choose all Air methods.
- In the Conditions panel, find the drop down called Includes one or more of these Shipping Group(s) and select the shipping group you created for Hazardous Goods.
- In the Actions panel, find the drop down called Action to Perform and choose “Hide Shipping Methods”
- Save the rule.
Assign Products to Shipping Group
When you’ve set up a Shipping Group, you always need to assign it to the necessary products in your eCommerce platform.
Verify that your carriers and rules are working and see how they will display in your checkout right from the ShipperHQ dashboard.