In certain scenarios you may wish to apply a different set of rating rules to one group of products than another. An example here is if you sold Bikes and Bike Accessories. Your may offer shipping at a flat rate of $20 for each Bike purchased while your accessories will use UPS rates instead of flat rates. This article covers how to set this up in ShipperHQ.
Note this functionality is only available on certain ShipperHQ plans.
- In your ShipperHQ dashboard, ensure that you have a UPS carrier set up and UPS Ground selected as an available shipping method
- Enable Drop Shipping under Account Settings > Features. This activates the features required to set up this configuration.
- Click on Shipping Groups on the navbar and create a new Shipping Group. We’ll call this “Bikes” since these are the products we’ll be rating differently
- In the Advanced Options panel on your new Shipping Group, check the Display Items from this Group Separately checkbox. This will now split these products into a separate shipment when rating. Save your Shipping Group.
- Next, create a Carrier Rule selecting UPS Ground under the Applicable Shipping Methods panel, your “Bikes” shipping group in the Must include all these Shipping Group(s) field in the Conditions Panel
- In the Actions panel, ensure that Action to Perform is set to “Set/Surcharge Shipping Methods” and Adapt Shipping Rates is set to “Set Rates” in the Rule Action section.
- Enter “20” in the Shipping Rate field in the Set/Modify Shipping Rate section
- Save your Carrier Rule
With this configuration, products which are assigned to the “Bikes” shipping group in your eCommerce platform will be rated with a flat $20 per item from that shipping group. All other products will be rated using the standard UPS rating.
Depending on your eCommerce platform, you may see these products shown as a separate group in checkout with separate shipping options. This is controlled by the Show Merged Rates option available by clicking the Settings button on the Origins page. On platforms which do not support displaying split shipments, this options will not be available and only one set of options will be shown. The rates for this set of options will be the sum of the rating for both “shipments” defined above. For example, if the accessory products in the cart cost $12.50 to ship and there is one Bike in the cart, the total shown for UPS Ground will be $32.50.