Let’s say you have some items that you charge a flat rate of $5.95 ground shipping, no matter how many are in the cart. But you also have other items which are larger that you need to charge standard UPS rates for. This guide goes through how to set this up in ShipperHQ.
On This Page
Steps for Carriers
- Be sure to already have installed and configured your UPS Carrier
- Define your Shipping Group for flat rate items
- In Carrier Rules > Add New
- In Basic panel, give rule a relevant Name (i.e. “Flat Rate $5.95 on FLAT items”)
- In Shipping Methods panel, Add UPS Ground as the Live Rate Shipping Method Assigned
- In Conditions, under Includes one or More of these Groups, select your Flat Rate shipping group, or Add New shipping group “FLAT”
- Also in Conditions, specify any zones you wish this to apply to (if required). (e.g you may only want for US48)
- In Actions set the Action to Perform as Set/Surcharge Shipping Rates, Adapt Shipping Rates to “Set Rates”, and Apply Shipping Rate/Percentage to “Per Shipping Group” or “Each item in Shipping Group” (depending on your need).
- In Shipping Rate box, fill in Shipping Price field as
Steps for Platforms
- Sync your shipping groups, then you will see your Flat Rate Shipping Group in the shipping tab
- Add the Flat Rate shipping group to any items you wish to ship flat rate
When flat rate items are in the cart alone, $5.95 will show. However, when flat rate items are in the cart along with standard items, then the UPS Ground price will be added to the $5.95. Other shipping methods (e.g. next day) will use the weight of all the items.
You can optionally prevent other shipping methods from showing when flat items are in the cart by setting up a prevent shipping rule. You can also set this up so that the flat rate would apply to the whole cart. All you have to do is apply the rule action. Bear in mind then you are saying all non-flat items ship for free when flat items are in the cart.