There are certain scenarios in which you may want to charge custom rates but still use the additional functionality that a live carrier provides. For example, if you’re selling perishable products and want to use ShipperHQ’s advanced date and time functionality with live time in transit estimates from your chosen carrier.
In this example, we’ll look at overriding the shipping rates for US Domestic shipments for UPS Ground setting this to a flat rate of $10, UPS 2nd Day setting this to a flat rate of $20, and UPS Next Day setting this to a flat rate of $30 but still showing an estimated delivery date based on the live time in transit info from UPS. We’ll accomplish this by setting up three carrier rules.
We’ll assume for the sake of this example that you’ve already enabled the Date & Time functionality in ShipperHQ and set up your UPS carrier selecting UPS Ground, UPS 2nd Day, and UPS Next Day as available shipping methods.
- Click on Carrier Rules in the left-hand navbar and click the Add + button to add a new Carrier Rule
- We’ll first set up a rule to set the UPS Ground rate. In the Overview panel of your new Carrier Rule, enter a name like “Set UPS Ground to $10” in the Name field.
- In the Applicable Shipping Methods panel, select “UPS Ground” in the Live Shipping Methods Assigned field. This tells ShipperHQ to apply this rule to your UPS Ground Shipping Method.
- In the Conditions panel, select “US” in the Apply to Zones panel. This tells ShipperHQ to only apply this rule for customers whose shipping address is in the US.
- In the Actions panel, set Action to Perform to “Set/Surcharge Shipping Methods,” set Adapt Shipping Rates to “Set Rates,” and enter “10” in the Shipping Rate field. This tells ShipperHQ to override the rate that UPS returns for UPS Ground and set it to $10 instead.
- Repeat steps 1-5 setting the name to something like “Set UPS 2nd Day to $20,” selecting “UPS 2nd Day,” and setting the rate to $20. All other settings can be the same for this rule.
- Repeat steps 1-5 setting the name to something like “Set UPS Next Day to $30,” selecting “UPS Next Day,” and setting the rate to $30. All other settings can be the same for this rule.
After following the steps above, customers on your site will see UPS Ground at a rate of $10, UPS 2nd Day at a rate of $20, and UPS Next Day at a rate of $30 with the estimated delivery date information generated by ShipperHQ based on live time in transit information from UPS.
There are many other options for how you set shipping rates with Carrier Rules but this gives you an idea of how to override live shipping rates so that you can make use of live carrier shipping methods and functionality while still charge the rate you want to charge.