A common scenario is where you wish to discount a specific shipping method from a certain carrier in order to act as a loss leader or competitive advantage. If you want to set an across-the-board discount on all shipping methods from a specific Carrier this can be done when setting up the Carrier using the Handling Fee section.
This example will show you how to set a 20% discount on UPS Next Day Air.
Example configuration for a 20% Discount on UPS Next Day Air
- Create your UPS carrier and enable UPS Next Day Air as an available shipping method
- Create a Carrier Rule and select UPS Next Day Air in the Applicable Shipping Methods panel
- Since this is just a basic rule, leave all the options in the Conditions panel as they are. See “Other Options” below for more information on what you can do here.
- Choose “Set/Surcharge Shipping Methods” as the Action to Perform and “Surcharge Rates” as the Adapt Shipping Rates option in the Rule Action section of the Actions panel. In the next step we’ll be setting a negative surcharge.
- In the Set/Modify Shipping Rate section of the Actions panel, enter “-20” in the Percentage Price field then choose “Shipping Price” from the Percentage Calculated On options
- Save your rule
The UPS Next Day Air rates shown to your customers will now be discounted by 20% off the rate returned by UPS.