This article describes how to add and test FedEx SameDay City local courier services in your ShipperHQ account. We will cover how to gather credentials and set up FedEx in your ShipperHQ account as well as how to best manage your connection between ShipperHQ and FedEx.
ShipperHQ supports a wide variety of FedEx services. Find details of all supported FedEx services on our FedEx doc.
On This Page
- Steps To Add This Carrier
- Steps to Validate This Carrier
- Moving from Test to Production Credentials
- Configuring FedEx SameDay City
When connecting your FedEx Account to ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the FedEx servers and obtain a shipping rate quote. Follow the steps below to obtain your:
- FedEx Enterprise Account Number (EAN)
- FedEx SameDay City Authentication Key
Register for a FedEx Online Account
If you already have a FedEx Online account connected to a FedEx Account, proceed straight to the Generating Credentials steps below. Otherwise, follow these steps to get those elements set up first.
- If you don’t have a FedEx Account and Account Number, you’ll need to contact FedEx, set up an account, and get your Account Number before proceeding.
- If you don’t have a FedEx Online account yet, go to FedEx.com and click the Sign Up button in the top right corner and set one created.
- If you haven’t yet connected your FedEx Online account to your FedEx Account, log in at FedEx.com and click your user name, choose “My Profile”, then choose “Account Management.” Here you can see if you already have your accounts linked or add an account if not.
You’ll also need a specific set of credentials to connect your FedEx Account to ShipperHQ, which can be generated at the FedEx SameDay® City Web Services following the steps below.
- Login to the Developer Resource Center https://samedaycity.fedex.com/developer (this page is accessible in the footer of https://samedaycity.fedex.com “Developer Resource Center”)
- Once logged in, select Move to Production
- Click Get Production Access
- Set Do You Intend to Reseller Your Software? to “No”
- For Please indicate whether… choose “Shipper“
- Click Continue
- Click Accept for the User Agreement
- Enter your your company and contact information and click Continue
- Select Production under Management Access
- Under Request New Access select SDC Shipment
- Click the Subscribe button
- Click Confirm
- A request will go to the SDC Web Services Team, who will review your request and grant
production API keys upon approval
Once you have your FedEx SameDay City Authentication Key as well as your Account Number, you can continue to Add This Carrier to ShipperHQ.
For a step-by-step walk-through with images, please see How to request FedEx SameDay City API Keys.
Steps To Add This Carrier
- Go to the Carriers page in the ShipperHQ dashboard
- Click + New to add a new carrier
- Select Live Rate Carrier
- Search for and select FedEx SameDay City
- Name this carrier (this name will be the name your customers see in the Checkout.)
- Success! Your FedEx carrier has now been added to your list of carriers in ShipperHQ.
- You may now proceed to Validate your FedEx Carrier (instructions are in the following section), or you can skip this step and choose to validate your carrier at another time. If you choose to skip validation you can begin to configure your carrier’s settings right away.
Steps to Validate This Carrier
In order for your live rate carrier to access live rates, you will need to enter your necessary credentials for FedEx and have them validated. Validation, simply means that ShipperHQ was able to access the shipping account related to the credentials that you entered and retrieve rates.
If you choose to skip validation after adding your new carrier, you will be reminded to add your credentials later.
To Validate your FedEx SameDay City carrier:
- Select Enter Credentials & Validate
- Review the information required to validate and Continue.
- See the Generating Credentials section above
- Enter in the required credentials you have collected and click Validate
Note: Successful installation depends on the accurate entry of the account information required by FedEx. If you do not have the correct information you will not be able to validate your carrier and receive live rates.
- If validation is successful, you will be presented with:
- The option to enable your carrier right away. Enabling your carrier at this time will turn its rates on immediately even before you have made any configuration adjustments to it.
- Configure This Carrier. Continuing with this button will take you to the carrier’s configuration page. You can also enable the carrier from this page once you have saved your settings.
- If validation fails, the credentials you have already entered will still be saved so they will populate the form when you return. You can:
- Choose to try validation again and double-check that the information you entered is correct.
- Skip validation for now and complete it later. You will be reminded to complete validation later to get shipping rates.
- Contact us if you are struggling to validate your carrier and you believe the credentials you are using are correct. We will be happy to help get you validated.
Moving from Test to Production Credentials
Once you’ve tested FedEx functionality using the Test Credentials generated above and are retrieving the services and rates you expect, you’ll need to generate Production credentials.
- Log in to the FedEx Developer Resource Center
- Choose “Move to Production” under the “FedEx Web Services” menu
- Click “Get Production Key” and go through the registration process. At the end of this process, you’ll receive your production credentials
- In ShipperHQ, input the credentials generated by FedEx. Be sure “Use Sandbox” is unchecked
Configuring FedEx SameDay City
Navigate to the Carriers tab of the dashboard. From there, you can click on your carrier to edit the settings.
The Basic tab will allow you to manage Signature or Special Services as well as indicate Hazardous items. You can remove or add various shipping methods for this carrier. Finally, you can establish Cutoff Time and Pickup Lead Time along with setting Blackout Dates and Days of the week.
Lead Time is especially important for this carrier as it will determine your carrier’s pick up time and provide your customer with more accurate delivery options. If it’s too late in the day with a longer lead time, SameDay service may not be available.
Restrictions for this carrier are:
- Packages may weigh up to 150 lbs but surcharges start at 70 lbs
- 65″ is the max length for one dimension of your package, and the total combined dimensions cannot exceed 120
The Package tab will allow you to manage all of these dimensions.
Under the Fees tab you can add flat rate or percentage handling fees.
Restrict this carrier to only certain destinations or shipping zones along with a few other Optional settings.
ShipperHQ connects to your FedEx account by generating FedEx credentials as described above. Meaning, that the shipping rates and options available through ShipperHQ should match the rates you get through FedEx ShipManager, FedEx.com, or any other tool you use to get rates or print labels for FedEx.
Why is SameDay not showing at checkout even though it’s enabled?
SameDay local delivery will only be available to customers for orders that can be fulfilled and delivered on the date of purchase. Once a product, method, or origin’s lead time and/or cut off time have been passed, the SameDay delivery method will not appear at checkout for the remainder of that day.
For orders made after the cutoff time, but will need to be delivered ‘same day’ on the following day, you could set up a custom carrier or live rate carrier to show rates for the following day.
Why don’t my rates match?
If you find that your rates through ShipperHQ are not matching what you expect to receive from FedEx, there are a number of troubleshooting steps that you can take to determine why this may be the case.
If you determine that the issue is the response from FedEx themselves, FedEx Web Services Support can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.