You have received your UPS Freight credentials from UPS and want to create a UPS Freight carrier and activate your credentials.
* If you do not have UPS Freight Contact UPS and sign up for Freight service
Setting Up your UPS Freight Carrier
The first step is to turn on LTL Freight as an advanced feature. Click Features from the ShipperHQ dashboard (left sidebar), then toggle the switch on the LTL Freight Carriers panel. You will then need to create the carrier.
- Go to your ShipperHQ dashboard and select carriers and “add new +”
Fill in the Create New Carrier pop up with Carrier Name, set Carrier Type to LTL Freight and select UPS Freight.
Obtaining UPS Freight Account & Setting Up your Carrier
To get rates from UPS Freight using ShipperHQ, you must have a UPS Freight test account. This is separate to your standard UPS account.
- Ensure you have a UPS XML Key and credentials
- Register for a test account on the UPS Freight site.
- If you haven’t done so already, create a UPS Freight carrier in ShipperHQ
- In the Account Settings panel of your UPS Freight carrier, enter your UPS Freight credentials and check the “Generate Test Rate” checkbox.
- Save your UPS Freight carrier in ShipperHQ
You now have your UPS Freight account set up in ShipperHQ to run through the UPS Freight account Test process.
With “Generate Test Rate” checked on your UPS Freight carrier in ShipperHQ, you’re now ready to obtain your test rate and register for activation with UPS.
Activating your UPS Freight credentials
In the next steps you’ll generate the required test rate and enter it on the UPS Freight website to activate your account.
- Disable all other carriers in ShipperHQ (if any) leaving only the UPS Freight carrier enabled
- On your website, add any product to your shopping cart and obtain a shipping rate using a Business address
- The UPS Freight rate you see is the UPS Freight Test Rate referenced above. Note this rate and continue with the process below.
- Login to the UPS Developer Kit
- Navigate to Access and Administration->Manage Access Keys
- Enter your current Access Key and select Request Production KeyNB: If you are presented with a notification window explaining that production access is not guaranteed and nothing happens when you click continue please re-try with an alternative web browser. We have had reports of this occurring with one web browser but not another.
- Select Rating-Ground Freight API
- Answer questions as appropriate
- Enter the Rate Value using the Total Shipment Charge obtained from the XML response.
- Log back into ShipperHQ, uncheck “Generate Test Rate” on your UPS Freight carrier, and save your UPS Freight carrier
- If you disabled any other carriers when generating your test rate, you can now reenable them
Adding Credentials to your Carrier
- Go to Account Settings and enter your UPS Freight User Id, Password Access License Number and Shipper Id (if using Negotiated Rates).
- To activate your UPS Freight credentials, check “Generate Test Rate.”
Go to Payor Settings and enter payor name and address. This is likely to be your Billing Address. If this is not accurate, you will not receive rates.
- After you have generated test rates and your credentials are active, remember to go back to your UPS Freight Carrier and uncheck “Generate Test Rate.”
Save the Carrier.
*If you have issues with receiving or activating you UPS Freight credentials contact UPS Support.
UPS density based pricing
If your UPS account requires density based pricing or you’re getting this error: “Shipper has density pricing. Handling unit dimension required” then you will need to tick the switch under account settings. Very few UPS LTL accounts require this, we would advise that you leave it unticked unless you see the above error or UPS LTL tell you to tick it.
UPS describe this feature as: Density based rates are discounted based upon product dimensions, rather than freight classifications. Density based pricing is setup when customers commingle multiple freight classes on shipments.