This a quick guide on how to apply the ShipperHQ attributes to your Shopify store. Please note, you are able to update ShipperHQ metadata fields on a per product level. To do a bulk import/export of these metadata attributes will require a 3rd party app that is designed to handle the bulk import/export of the data. This is generally a feature supported by the eCommerce platform; in this case another app must be used to update in bulk. Below I will feature how to use the Metafields2 app from sineLABS.
REMINDER ShipperHQ is using Shopify best practice by using Metadata fields. ShipperHQ is not an export/import app so this would have to be done either individually or by using your favorite Bulk import/export tool.
There are 3 types of attributes that are defined in ShipperHQ that can be assigned at a product level in Shopify (not including the product dimensions) :
For example you may wish to assign products to a shipping group BIKE so you can set up a shipping rule on it. Then in Shopify you will assign all products that are bikes to the group BIKE so when they are in the cart the rules will apply to them.
- You’ll first want to download Metafields2 app from the Shopify App store. (If you need help with the download or configuring of the Metafields2 App, you’ll need to contact email@example.com for help).
- After download, you’ll want to go to Shopify–>Products–>More Actions–>Metafields2 App.
- If you’ve already added some ShipperHQ Attributes to your products you can go to Metafields App–>Utilities–>Export Metafields–>New Export Job for ‘Products’–>click, Start Export Job. Once this has been done, you’ll have a CSV table of your attributes for products. You can then enter the Shipping Groups, Origins or Dimensional Rule Groups quicker and easier.
- If you do not have any attributes on the products yet, you will first need to create the metafields in Metafields2 by clicking on ‘Products’ or ‘Variants’ (depending on which type of product you wish to edit). Possible metafields are below.
|global||SHIPPING_GROUPS||string||Shipping Group Name|
|global||DIMENSIONAL_GROUPS||string||Dimensional Rules Name|
- Once the metafields have been created, export all of your products by going to Metafields App–>Utilities–>Export Metafields–>New Export Job for ‘Products’–>click, Start Export Job.
- Download the resulting export .csv created and edit in a spreadsheet editor using the ‘UTF-(8)’ formatting. Using any format other than ‘UTF-(8)’ will result in a failed import.
- Once the necessary edits have been made to the .csv, export the file using the same ‘UTF-(8)’ format.
- Go back to Metafields App–>Utilities, create a new import, and choose the .csv file that was just created.
Once you’ve followed the steps above; you will be able to bulk import/export the ShipperHQ metadata fields on your products. There are multiple other programs that also allow you to bulk update metadata in Shopify; so if you’re already using one feel free to keep using them.