If you sell a certain group of items (in this example, we’ll call the group BULKY) and want to surcharge shipping by a certain amount (in this example $5) when any of these items are in the cart, you’ll need a rule.
This example assumes that you’re using UPS Ground for shipping and have your UPS carrier set up already.
Concepts Used in this Example
- Create a Shipping Group named BULKY
- In your eCommerce Platform, assign this Shipping Group to the appropriate products
- In ShipperHQ, create a new Carrier Rule
- In the Overview, enter a meaningful name like “BULKY item Surcharge”
- In the Applicable Shipping Methods panel, select “UPS Ground” in the Live Shipping Methods Assigned field
- In the Conditions panel, select the “BULKY” Shipping Group in the Includes one or more of these Shipping Group(s) field
- In the Actions panel under the Rule Action section, leave Action to Perform set to “Set/Surcharge Shipping Methods,” Adapt Shipping Rates to “Surcharge Rates,” leave Apply Shipping Rate/Percentage to “Per Shipping Group”
- In the Actions panel under the Set/Modify Shipping Rate section, enter “5” as the Shipping Rate
- Save your Carrier Rule
With the above configuration, a $5 surcharge will be added to any order which includes at least one item from the BULKY Shipping Group.
In this example, we’ve added a single surcharge regardless of how many BULKY items are in the cart. There are many other options for how this is handled. For example, you may want to charge per item, or only add this surcharge if the order total is under a certain subtotal or over a certain weight. More information about these options are available in the Carrier Rules section.