Shipping Groups are very similar to the concept of categories on your eCommerce platform. They are a way to group together a set of products that need the same shipping rules to apply.
For example I might run a Furniture site. I might want rules for delivering locally and change the rules based the type of product. So I’d create shipping groups for each of the different shipping prices I deal with.e.g BEDS, CUPBOARDS, MIRRORS, etc.
We recommend you use caps just to save spelling typos, they are often easier to see with caps and short names.
Creating Shipping Groups
1. Under the Shipping Groups Tab, Click “Add New +” to create a new shipping group.
2. Enter the name of the group.
3. Click Save at the bottom to save your shipping group and you will be taken back to the main shipping groups page.
Adding Shipping Groups via CSV Import
You can also add Shipping Groups by importing a CSV file, this is useful if you have multiple Shipping Groups or already have a CSV file with this information in it. You can import the file by selecting CSV and then import. To ensure you have the correct fields in your file it may be useful to create one Shipping Group and export the file by selecting CSV then export. You can either use that document, change one you currently have to fit the same fields or create a new one. You can find an example of a Shipping Group CSV below. (The asterisk indicates the field includes all)
ShipperHQ gives the ability to:
- Set a max time in transit for a shipping group e.g. set PERISHABLES to be max 1 day time in transit
- Set the group to ship separately. If this is used its really much like a separate origin, any items in this shipping group will have their shipping calculated separately from the rest of the items and then the total will be accumulated together
- Add restrictions or surcharges to items in the group.
- For example, under the section “Restrict Group To Specific Shipping Methods”, if you select any shipping methods here, this shipping group will only allow the selected methods to return.
- Similarly if you select a zone under “Restrict Destinations” the shipping group will only return rates if the destination country is in one of the selected zones.
Please note that restrictions applied to a shipping group will take effect regardless of the other shipping groups in the cart. Carrier rules should be used if you need to use different methods when there is a combination of shipping groups in the cart. For this reason we recommend that restrictions should be applied using carrier rules unless you have products that restrict shipping methods and/or zones regardless of any other shipping group present in the cart. If you are using a table rate carrier there is a separate article for working with multiple shipping groups.