- Common Rate Discrepancy Issues
- Are your rate types what you are expecting them to be set to?
- Do you have a handling fee on the carrier?
- Residential vs Commercial
- Sandbox mode vs Production mode
- Do you have any carrier rules set in ShipperHQ?
- Do you have any box surcharges?
- Do your weight units match in ShipperHQ and your eCommerce platform?
- Emailing support with Rate Discrepancy Issues
This doc will outline what steps to take if you come across rate discrepancies and will walk you through initial steps in diagnosing the issue.
Common Rate Discrepancy Issues
If you are seeing a difference in rates you will want to look through the following issues to ensure you have ShipperHQ set up correctly.
With BigCommerce/Magento you can view the response information which will tell you the packages it created (and the weights) and for Magento you can see the original shipping price which is the price from the carrier before handling/surcharges/etc have been added. Looking at this information and comparing to what you think should happen is a good first step. Checking the rest of the information below is useful before raising a support ticket as in our experience almost all issues are because of configuration setting.
Are your rate types what you are expecting them to be set to?
When you set up your carrier you are able to choose what type of rate you want to use. You can use incentive rates, listed rates, etc.
To check the settings on this you will want to go to the Carrier page, edit the carrier and go to the Account Settings section.
- For UPS, you will find four options under the “Customer Classification Code” field:
- Rates Associated with Shipper Number (invented rates)- inventive rates associated with your account
- Daily Rates – the listed carrier rates with a small discount for those who ship daily
- Retail Rates – listed rates
- Standard Rates – listed rates but in an older style
- For USPS, you will find three options under the “Rate Type” field:
- Retail Rates – standard listed rates
- Online Rates – Endicia or Stamps.com rates
- Commercial Rates – Special incentive rates
- For FedEx, you will find a check box under “Negotiated Rates”:
- If you have this checked you will use negotiated rates which are the rates associated with your account
Do you have a handling fee on the carrier?
To find whether you have a handling fee on the carrier:
- Go to the Carrier tab in the ShipperHQ dashboard
- Edit the Carrier
- Go to the Handling Fee section and check the “Flat Surcharge” and “Percentage Surcharge/Discount fields,” both should be set to zero if you are looking to show the direct rates from the carrier.
Residential vs Commercial
Check to see if you have the carrier set to receive Residential or Commercial rates. This is also found under the carrier.
- Edit the carrier in the ShipperHQ dashboard and go to Additional Charges
- You will need to set “Destination Address Type” to either Business (Commercial) or Residential
Sandbox mode vs Production mode
You should not use Sandbox mode unless you were instructed to do so by your carrier.
- To find this setting you should stay in within the Carrier and go to the Account Settings.
- If you have not been instructed by your carrier to use Sandbox, this should be unchecked.
Do you have any carrier rules set in ShipperHQ?
Carrier Rules can be used to add surcharges/discounts based on different criteria. You should check your Carrier Rules to ensure you don’t have any unwanted surcharges, discounts or set rates applying to your orders.
- Find the Carrier rule that is attached to the carrier
- Edit the Carrier and go to the Actions section
- You can find the set rate or surcharges associated with the rule under Set/Modify Shipping Rate
Do you have any box surcharges?
When setting up Box-based carrier rules you can add surcharges or discounts to the boxes you have set up. This can be found under the Carrier Rules tab.
- Edit the Carrier Rule and go to the Advanced Conditions section
- Under Applicable Boxes you will be able to see if the rule applies to any of the boxes you have created.
Do your weight units match in ShipperHQ and your eCommerce platform?
ShipperHQ only rates off the weight of the product. You can check to see what units you are using in ShipperHQ under Account Settings.
- Select Global Settings
- The Weight Unit field controls what unit ShipperHQ is using. This should be the same as what you have set in your eCommerce platform settings.
Also, When you’re comparing rates by weight are you converting fractions of a lbs to ounces?
Emailing support with Rate Discrepancy Issues
- Find the Transaction ID/Quote ID (on Magento, or BigCommerce)
- Check the carriers official page to determine what rates should be
- For example if you are using UPS you will go to https://www.ups.com/uis/create?loc=en_US&WT.svl=PNRO_L1 and fill in the required information
- Send the information found from #1 & #2 to email@example.com