A common scenario is to surcharge a certain shipping option or method when a certain quantity in a shipping group is passed. In this article, we’ll use the example of surcharging UPS Ground shipping if the order has over X items for the Shipping Group “Ship”.
- In ShipperHQ, ensure you have your UPS Carrier set with UPS Ground as an available shipping method.
- Create a Shipping Group, in our case we’ll call it “Ship”.
- Click on Filters on the navbar and add a new filter.
- On your new filter, select “Everything in Shipping Group” under Filter Applies To in the Edit Filter panel and select Ship within “Shipping Group Filter Applies to”.
- In the Standard Filters panel, select “Range” for the Quantity filter, enter a Min value of “X” and check the No Max checkbox and Save. You now have a filter set up which will match against an order total with more than X amount of items.
- Click on Carrier Rules on the navbar and add a new Rule.
- Enter a descriptive Name (e.g. “UPS Ground surcharge over X items”) under the Overview panel and select UPS Ground in the Live Shipping Methods Assigned field under the Applicable Shipping Methods panel.
- In the Conditions panel, select the Filter you just set up under Weight/Price/Quantity Filters
- Also in the Conditions panel, select Ship under the “Includes One or More of These Shipping Groups”.
- In the Actions panel and the Rule Action section, choose “Set/Surcharge Shipping Methods” from the Action to Perform drop-down, “Surcharge Rates” from the Adapt Shipping Rates drop-down, and “Per Cart” in the Apply Shipping Rate/Percentage drop-down.
- In the Set/Modify Shipping Rate section of the Actions panel, enter the $X amount to surcharge in the Shipping Rate field.
- Save your rule.
ShipperHQ will now set UPS Ground to surcharge $X if the order has over X items.
Combining the price Filter with other Filters or Shipping Groups or Zones you can define more specific scenarios in which to offer free shipping. You can also use this same approach to set Flat Rate shipping in certain scenarios.