- Create a new UPS Carrier
- Fetch a UPS Invoice
- Example Invoice
- Register ShipperHQ with UPS
- Configuring Rate Classification
- UPS SurePost
- UPS Configuration Canada
In this section we will cover:
- Creating a UPS Carrier in ShipperHQ
- Registering with UPS to enabling rating
- Changing rates displayed based
- UPS Sure Post
- UPS in Canada
Create a new UPS Carrier
When setting up your UPS carrier in ShipperHQ, you’ll need certain credentials that will allow ShipperHQ to connect to the UPS servers and obtain a rate quote. Follow these directions to obtain/set-up the necessary credentials.
The first step is to create a new UPS carrier in ShipperHQ.
- Click on Carriers in the left-hand navbar
- Click the Add New button to add a new carrier
- Enter the name you want to use for this carrier in the Carrier Name field (e.g. “UPS”)
- Select “Small Package” from the Carrier Type select
- Select “UPS” from the Carrier select
- Click Create Carrier
Fetch a UPS Invoice
In order to connect ShipperHQ to your UPS account, you’ll need your most recent invoice. This can usually be downloaded at UPS.com. If not, you’ll need to find the physical copy of the most recent invoice received from UPS. If you have not received an invoice from UPS in the preceding 90 days, no invoice is required to register and you can skip this section.
- Go to UPS.com and click the “Log-in” link at the top of the page. Log in with your UPS.com username and password.
- Once logged in, select “Billing” in the “My UPS” drop-down in the navbar
- Click the “Access” button to access the UPS Billing Center
- In the “Billing Center Quick Links” section, click “View Invoice”
- You should see a list of recent invoices under the “Invoice Information” header. Click the Invoice Number for the most recent invoice (it doesn’t matter if you’ve already paid or not).
- Click the “View/Download Invoice Data” button at the bottom of the page and select “PDF” and click “Submit” to view the invoice PDF
- You’ll need information from this Invoice to connect ShipperHQ to your UPS account
Your invoice may vary somewhat from this example invoice but this helps identify where to find the required invoice information.
Register ShipperHQ with UPS
- Open UPS Carrier in ShipperHQ Dashboard
- Open the Account Settings Panel and click the Register Credentials Now button
- If you do not already have a UPS Shipping Account, click the Create UPS Account on the left to get that set up and then return to ShipperHQ to complete this process once you’ve set up an account with UPS
- If you already have an account with UPS and have access to your most recent invoice (or have not received a UPS invoice in the preceding 90 days), click the Register Credentials button
- Read and scroll all the way to the bottom of the License Agreement and click the I Agree button. I you need to print the agreement out for review, a print button is provided
- On the Customer Info page, fill in your company details and click Next. Important: The address entered here must be the address where UPS picks up shipments. This may differ from your account or billing address shown on your Invoice
- Enter your UPS Account Number
- If you have not been invoiced in the preceding 90 days, click the No, not invoiced in past 90 days button
- If you have been invoiced in the preceding 90 days, click the Yes, invoiced in past 90 days button
- Select your country and enter the Invoice Number and Charges this Period that are shown on your invoice
- Click the Invoice Date field and choose the date of the invoice from the calendar
- Enter the Control ID if present on your invoice. Some invoices may not have a Control ID present. If it is present, it will generally be listed in the summary at the top right corner of the first page of your invoice
- Click the Next button
If for some reason your invoice is not accepted on your first attempt, double check all of your information. Most common causes of being unable to register are:
- Not using the most recent invoice UPS has generated. See the “Fetch a UPS Invoice” section above for how to download your most recent invoice
- Entering the Account or Billing address instead of the “Shipped From” address on the invoice. The address entered must be the address of the primary location where UPS picks up packages
- Entering the wrong invoice date or charges this period. These must match exactly what was shown on your UPS invoice
Attempting to register unsuccessfully three times will disable your account for 24 hours. You will still be able to use your UPS account, but will not be able to attempt to register for another 24 hours.
Configuring Rate Classification
UPS has four customer classification codes. These codes are used in different scenarios and outlined below. It’s important to note that ShipperHQ does not provide UPS classification codes. If you offer a certain rate to your customers it’s important to ensure that you can actually ship at those rates. Talk to your UPS rep to determine which customer classification code you would need use for your requirements.
Rates Associated with Shipper Number
This is the most common option, which returns negotiated/incentivised shipping rates.
Applies to shippers that have an existing customer account prior to January 3, 2011 that provides for Daily Rates, or UPS Scheduled Pickup service implemented prior to January 3, 2011. The Daily Rates are the list rates used by UPS for years.
Applies to shippers that: Do not receive UPS Scheduled Pickup service; ship from a UPS retail location, such as The UPS Store® or UPS Customer Center; or ship infrequently with a UPS account number or payment card.
Standard List Rates
Applies to shippers that have a customised agreement with UPS that provides for Standard List Rates, or a UPS Scheduled Pickup account established on or after January 3, 2011.
ShipperHQ supports UPS SurePost, you will though need to get us to enable it. Contact us via our website. Once enabled you will see as a new carrier option when you add a carrier. Mechanism for adding is same as standard UPS carrier.
UPS Configuration Canada
The configuration for Canada UPS involves adjustments to ensure correct rating.
- UPS Account Origin
- Weight Unit
- Shipping Methods
- Currency Conversion (Magento only)
1. UPS Account Origin
When you have a Origin in Canada and wish to use UPS you must ensure the UPS carrier has the origin of the shipment set to Canada.
2. Weight Unit
Choose your weight unit for Canada, what are your product weight units? This is also set in Account Settings->Global Features.
3. Shipping Methods
Select the Canadian Shipping Methods. Because of a nuance in UPS currently we map the following shipping methods in the dashboard to methods on the checkout:
- Next Day Air – > maps to Express
- Next Day Air Saver -> maps to Express Saver
- 2nd Day Air -> maps to Expedited
- Standard -> Standard
So for example if you select Next Day Air Saver as an allowed method on the carrier than in the checkout you will see Express Saver as a rate.
Note: Only the following 4 rates are shown for Canada.
4. Currency Conversion
On the Magento platform you must ensure you allow the currency Canada and setup the conversion rate else you will not see any shipping rates. We return rates in CAD and rely on the platform to convert to store currency.